Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2008 00:00

Trojan Infection...New to Dell Support...need help plz

I caught a bug today in Yahoo Answers and now my Inspiron 1525 is going nuts.  I'm running Vista with Firefox.  Dell Support told me to shut the computer down until I can get it fixed (I'm broke at the moment).  They told me to turn my computer off and then referred me to this site.  I'm on another computer now.  I'm running AVG and it detected and supposedly vaulted the trojan when it happened but I'm still having popups, site openings, and scanning from a rogues site going on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this myself?

11 Posts

November 20th, 2008 02:00

you may try running super anti virus which can be downloaded from

http://snipurl.com/1dsob

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 20th, 2008 07:00

Azhar,

1) You meant SuperAntiSPYWARE (rather than super anti virus) ---

given that we often find rogue products tricking people by using similar-sounding names, it's critical that we be extremely careful whenever me make a suggestion/recommendation.

2) It's also preferable to use a "standard" / "well-known" URL , such as a direct link to the manufacturer, whenever feasible ---

unless my security is protecting me, it seems that the opaque link you cited in fact takes me to

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

which is much more transparent in its intent.   [we don't encourage people to click on "strange"/unknown links]

(Be sure to use the FREE version for Home Users)

======================================================

Enigman:

SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) is an excellent, reputable program.   It may in fact fix your problems. 

If not, an alternative to consider would be MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware)

http://malwarebytes.org/

if you go through malwarebytes, they will link you to other download sites (download dot com, or majorgeeks dot com) --- in so doing, be sure to download MBAM, and not any other program that might "advertised" on those pages.

download, install, UPDATE, do a QUICK scan, and REMOVE any problems found.

11 Posts

November 20th, 2008 09:00

Hi There,

It's a frequent tool that i use tha's the reason i snipped anyway superantispyware is what i meant and it's free and also pro version is available for free as a limited trial version.

20.5K Posts

November 20th, 2008 13:00

I would be wary of going to sites and running anything provided by anyone other than reputable anti-malware companies.

I agree with ky331's suggestions.

You can download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checkedPhotobucket
    Click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the Malware Removal forum. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
    1. Just click the Start A New Thread button (upper right) in the Malware Removal forum here:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3521.aspx

to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
    2. In the discussion window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "findjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "findjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

Hello ,

Avg will only detect the syyware but it wont remove from your laptop.

I have to tool where it will rocks

go to this link balaji4.notlong.com with out www or http

Run this file just follow the onscreen instructions and restart the laptop

Check if you are getting the popups if id does not work let me know i will give you some other software

Regards

Hemanth(John)

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

Hemanth,

1) the same comments that I offered Azhar (above) also apply to your post:

It's far  preferable to use a "standard" / "well-known" URL , such as a direct link to the manufacturer, whenever feasible ---

unless my security is protecting me, it seems that the opaque link you cited in fact  induces a direct download for SmitFraudFix , and explicitly mentioning that program would have made your intent completely transparent .  

[we don't encourage people to click on "strange"/unknown links, as we have no way of knowing if they're legitimate or not...  

I accessed your link on a "test" machine of mine, but not everyone has that luxury.]

2) the two suggestions cited above, SAS and/or MBAM, are much more inclusive in their detections/removals.   we have yet to hear back from the original poster, to see how he fared with these:  Odds are these will repair the problem without having to resort to SmitFraudFix.   While each individual has the right to use (read:  RISK) their own machine as they see fit, we stongly DIScourage the undiagnosed use of specialized tools, such as SmitFraudFix, unless under the supervision of HiJackThis malware-removal experts.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2008 14:00

You can try software tools for a quick fix, hopefully they will work.

But, if not, Microsoft tells us to tell customers to reinstall Windows:

Here is what we do in 10 easy steps:

1. Backup your data. Only the bare minimum (docs, spreadsheets, Quicken File, pics, music ... that kind of thing).

2. Be sure you have your Windows CD/DVD and serial number. Be sure you know your email account passwords, etc.

3. Restore your computer to factory setup by using the manufacturer's Recovery procedure or manually with Windows CD/DVD.

4. Reformat C: drive. Unless you know what you are doing, don't change your partitions because one might be a "Recovery Partition".

5. Re-Install Windows and drivers from scratch. Dell Support has all the drivers you might need (but most come on Windows CD/DVD).

6. Connect to Windows Update online, and install all the critical patches and security updates. Don't "surf the net" or go anywhere else.

7. Re-Install Applications, Windows Defender, and Anti-Virus Software (AVG 8 is free).

8. Before copying data files back to computer, scan them thoroughly with AVG (with latest definitions loaded) to make sure they are clean.

9. Copy data files back to computer. Fix-up your personal settings (screen savers, etc.).

10. Make a complete backup of the system with a HardDrive Imaging program like Ghost or Acronis. Save it somewhere safe. If you get infected again, you are 30 minutes away from a working (perfectly configured) system.

Pat yourself on the back ... you are done. You can surf now, but don't go to off-the-wall websites any more.

This is the only way to be 100% sure that your system is clean again. If you are still having problems with your computer, it is probably the hardware.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

November 20th, 2008 16:00

I agree completely with BB here... there's no need to use a steamroller to crush a fly, when a flyswatter will suffice... (there's no need to reformat/reinstall if a simple scanner can do the job).

let me again point out that the original poster has yet to reply, to advise us whether any of the already suggested tools had an impact on his/her situation.   if MBAM (and SAS) can't do the job, I'm confident that BugBatter will then offer a strategic/surgical fix, that will be far less intrusive than reformatting.  

for the sake of decorum here, i would hope that no one else enter this thread with yet another suggestion, until we hear back from the original poster --- too many alternative responses can be confusing ("too many cooks may spoil the broth") ; and in a perverse sense, is just as frustrating as receiving no response at all. 

20.5K Posts

November 20th, 2008 16:00

Thank you for the suggestion, Telsa1856, but not everyone wants to do that. In many cases it may be a bit extreme to immediately prescribe an R&R before you have diagnosed the exact problem and researched the behavior of the specific variant(s) that you are dealing with. One of the nice things about not having to meet a quota, or a deadline is that we can take the time to individualize fixes to meet the needs of the customers on these forums.

9 Posts

November 20th, 2008 19:00

First, I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions to this thread.  I ran Malwarbytes' Anti-Malware free edition and then ran a full AVG free scan and it seems to have worked. 

My question now is this:

I have trojans quarantined.  Should I just leave them quarantined?  It makes sense to me to just leave well enough alone.

Also, I have CoolWebSearch that is NOT able to be quarantined or cleaned.  Any suggestions on this?  It's never really given me any problems.  It's just an annoyance.  I understand CoolWebSearch is an Internet Explorer bug.  I use Firefox.  What would you do?

Again, thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread.  Have a good night (or day).  -Enigman

20.5K Posts

November 20th, 2008 20:00

Enigman, it might be good to continue this on the Malware Removal forum where we can provide some follow-up information and run some diagnostic scans to be sure this "quick fix" resolved the problem.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3521.aspx

Please include your Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log as well as your question about CoolWebSearch.

In the "HOW TO POST..." announcement at the top of that forum, there is a list of trained analysts.

Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Bugbatter and ky331:

It's very nice of you to hang out here and offer your free help and expertise to Dell users in search of help.

However, it's interesting that you both discourage others from trying to help ... by giving their own advice on solving problems (gained from many years "in the field").

I went ahead and made the first line of my post larger and bold so maybe it will noticed the next time someone reads it.

My post only reinforced your suggestions.

However, we all know your solutions depend on the definitions and coding in the tools themselves, correct configuration and usage of said software tools, and the determination of the user to follow through with what is sometimes a lengthy (messages back and forth) process. It's not like you are connected to their computer via Remote Assistance (and even then, you can't get to the sometimes required Safe Mode).

Once the integrity of the system has been violated, Windows system files modified or corrupted, registry modified or corrupted (especially with a NEW trojan, virus or root kit) only my 10 easy steps can return a system to 100% functionality. That's why Microsoft recommends it. That's why Dell often insists on it before they start replacing hardware that's under warranty.

No one "likes" to follow the 10 easy steps but sometimes it must be done. It's the only way to isolate the software from the hardware to troubleshoot which one is bad.

My way works 99.99% of the time (with working hardware). Someone can print this page right now and go fix their computer. Can you say that about your way?

9 Posts

Tesla1856

Thank you for your contribution to the thread.  I'll keep that in mind if I have problems again.  Have a good night.  -Enigman

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2008 21:00

Enigman,

You are welcome.

Sounds like you still might have CoolWebSearch on your computer. Back in the day, I used CWShredder for that one (and HiJackThis to identify and check).

But, by all means ... let BugBatter help you with this complete fix and see it through to the end. Only do what she recommends. She should be able to get you all fixed up.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2008 01:00

Its better not to try any free anti virus like super anti virus or avg because they create a  a  lot of problem than fixing the issue.its better you can try with online virus scan like housecall.trendmicro.com or safety.live.com.it will remove the virus /spyware but does not provide auto protect .

No Events found!