Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2012 11:00

Trying to Unmask the Fake Microsoft Support Scammers!

We've discussed Cold Calls in this forum in the past. I received a similar call a few minutes ago. By coincidence I had this August 04 Kaspsersky blog in front of me when the call came in. I've decided to start a new discussion to let everyone know that these things are still out there.
Don't be a victim!

Trying to Unmask the Fake Microsoft Support Scammers!

I’m pretty sure that most of you guys know about the recent phone scam which is circulating right now. They have been calling a lot of people in countries such as Germany, Sweden, the UK and probably more. The scam is pretty simple; they pretend to be from a department within Microsoft which has received indications that your computer is infected with some malware. They will then offer (for free) to verify if this is the case. If the victim agrees on this, they will ask the victim to perform certain actions, and also type certain commands, which will trick a non-experienced used that the output is actually showing that the computer is infected.

Blog continued here: https://www.securelist.com/en/blog/208193750/Trying_to_unmask_the_fake_Microsoft_support_scammers

Have you ever received one of these calls? 

20.5K Posts

August 6th, 2012 15:00

No Events found!