Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
MagyG
1 Copper

RE: USB security flaw...

It depends... If Dell or any laptop/motherboard manufacturer will release update for firmware/BIOS, don't need to be such huge issue. Unfortunately, it seems Dell will not release any update for machines older than 3 yrs, which is limit for longest possible warranty period. They want users rid off old hw and buy new one. Obviously.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: USB security flaw...

I don't see how new BIOS releases are going to help.

From my understanding, they're able to hide malware inside the firmware on USB sticks. When an infected USB stick is connected to a PC, it loads that malware which can take over the PC, steal data, and infect other USB sticks.  And I wouldn't be surprised if this also applies to every device that connects via USB.

So updating BIOS isn't going to prevent hackers from hiding the malware in USB firmware or prevent the malware from loading and running on  the PC. They need to fix USB to prevent hackers from loading malware into the stick's firmware in the first place.

I suppose anti-malware software may be able to detect and remove that malware from the PC, but the hackers can just create something new that evades the anti-malware suite, just like they do now with malware distributed via emails, on infected websites, etc.

A new cat and mouse game...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos