mvikred
1 Copper

Unknown program opening sites

Hi,

Right from the time I opened up my XPSm1530 out of the box and started it, there is some program that opens up websites by itself. And sites like appletizeme.com and easyweightlosstea.com pop up by themselves.

McAfee is up to date and it does not detect and trojan or virus when I do the complete scan. it's been just one week since I got my laptop and this little problem is annoying me.

Some one please help me out with this and help me find a solution to this problem

Cheers !!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7 Gold

Re: Unknown program opening sites

You are saying that you took your computer out of the box, connected it, activated your McAfee, updated McAfee, and right away "some program" started opening websites?  Were you at your homepage when this first started happening, or were you on another page? What browser are you using when this happens?

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos
mvikred
1 Copper

Re: Unknown program opening sites

I did visit some other website. But only after mcafee updated itself. But i dont think i did visit any illegal site, which might contain virus.

I investigated it a little further and found out that there are multiple sessions of run32.dll s running, and also a wierd program by the name im001.exe(both in 64-bit and 32-bit modes) open, which keeps the cpu performance really high, even with little to no programs running.

Once I kill this process, the cpu performance becomes normal and comes down to (22% as compared to 80-95%).

There is another program by the name min001.exe(again in both 64-bit and 32-bit architectures) opening up with similar results.

And I also have to kill the unecessary run32.dll session leaving just one session opened by the system.

0 Kudos