7- Thorium

Re: Updates 11/13/18 - "Microsoft + Adobe" Tuesday

Thanks for that feedback. Is your Win 7 PC 32- or 64-bit?

I unselected the Nov. MSRT update and successfully installed all the other updates on my Win 7 PC (32-bit) last night without any strange messages. Just haven't gotten around to installing MSRT from the direct link.

My thread about this issues in the MS forum has gotten 17 "Have the same question" clicks but no posts from any MVPs, MS engineers or anyone else.  The silence is deafening!

And for the record, my Win 10 (1803; 64-bit) lappy installed all its updates including Nov. MSRT last night without any strange messages.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

I downloaded/ran Nov-18 MSRT using the link @ky331 posted above. It didn't ask me to accept any EULA's.

When the quick scan finished, the progress box said "Files infected: 7" but the summary box (and the log file) said "No infection found" and all the malware items listed said "not infected".

Now I'm totally confused...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
ky331
6 Indium

Ron wrote:

When the quick scan finished, the progress box said "Files infected: 7" but the summary box (and the log file) said "No infection found" and all the malware items listed said "not infected".

I didn't take note of it this time... but yes, I've encountered that in the past.   If memory serves me, I read somewhere that this is normal... probably indicates that the scan encountered a few "suspicious" files, that required deeper analysis... and upon doing so, concluded they were in fact clean.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Suddenly got a bunch of responses from other users on the MS forum with the same XP SP2 EULA issue when trying to install MSRT through Windows Update.  And there's a second thread about the same thing on the MS forum and one on another forum too. Misery loves company!

As for the 7 "infected" files MSRT claimed to have found on my PC, it appears MSRT ends up ignoring those files and doesn't submit them to the MS server for verification because they aren't on the list of infections it's searching for. Sure would be good if MSRT listed those suspicious files so the user could investigate, even if they're false positives.

Ran full scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and MSE overnight. SAS found one tracking cookie and promptly ate it, but nothing else was found by any of them. So I guess this PC is clean...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
joe53
5 Osmium

Just to add that I have religiously used and run MSRT, from both WU and from the standalone download site, since its inception years ago. It has never detected anything on any of my systems. I never bothered to use the /N switch, and never regretted this practice.

Tonight for the first time I ran a full on-demand MSRT scan, which took a few hours. The only thing it detected was a trace remnant of an EICAR test file.

Just an FYI. As always, YMMV.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ky331
6 Indium

(post removed intentionally)

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos