Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 04:00

Updates 2/14/17 - "Microsoft Tuesday" POSTPONED! ; CCleaner, Flash

SEE UPDATE BELOW

This thread is currently "under construction", and will be edited for the remainder of today.   Please excuse any blank spaces or crossed-out "placeholders" for items expected to be announced.

Today is Microsoft Tuesday --- the SECOND Tuesday of the month --- on which Microsoft is expected to release its monthly cycle of Windows security updates.   Based on previous history, they should become available at 1 P.M. [USA - Eastern STANDARD Time]

------------------

Please use Windows/Automatic Updates to determine which updates are applicable to your particular system.

-------------------

Adobe will be joining-in, with updates for Flash and Shockwave.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 14:00

CCleaner v5.27.5976 (14 Feb 2017)

- Improved Firefox and Chrome History cleaning
- Improved Opera Beta cleaning
- Improved Windows 10 Support
- Improved Uninstall tool version sorting
- Updated internal architecture
- Added Foxit Reader 8.0 cleaning
- Minor GUI improvements
- Minor bug fixes

Either be careful to UNcheck any pre-checked offers for bundled programs/toolbars (unless you really want them)... or else, wait a few days until the SLIM build is released.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 14th, 2017 20:00

Microsoft delays Patch Tuesday as world awaits fix for SMB flaw

"Due to a "last-minute issue," Microsoft has delayed this month's updates, and currently, there's no expected time of arrival."

arstechnica.com/.../

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/02/14/february-2017-security-update-release/

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 15th, 2017 04:00

Having trouble posting in these forums the past few days...

As Joe pointed out concerning the February 2017 Microsoft security update releases:

Our top priority is to provide the best possible experience for customers in maintaining and protecting their systems. This month, we discovered a last minute issue that could impact some customers and was not resolved in time for our planned updates today.

After considering all options, we made the decision to delay this month’s updates. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change to the existing plan.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 15th, 2017 04:00

Adobe Flash has been updated to version 24.0.0.221

In today's scheduled release, we've updated Flash Player with important bug fixes and security updates.

These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.  

Direct downloads (no bundled junk) for Windows 7 and earlier (  Revised installer links located toward bottom of:  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html )
Plugin-based browsers (Firefox etc) -
=======================================

=======================================

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 15th, 2017 11:00

Watch out when you try to update ccleaner..

The update's installer from the Piriform site has the boxes to install Chrome and Google Toolbar pre-checked and it wouldn't let me uncheck them....

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 15th, 2017 11:00

Ron,

I just tried, and while the Google Chrome & Toolbar were indeed pre-checked, I had no problem with UNchecking them.

(The appearance reminded me of the Avast installers trying to do the same thing.)

If you can't uncheck them, then you should wait until the SLIM build is released... hopefully in a few days.

P.S.  For what it's worth, I haven't updated CCleaner since 5.08.   I'm tired of all the "improvements", most of which are for Win8.1/10...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 15th, 2017 12:00

Ron,

I just tried, and while the Google Chrome & Toolbar were indeed pre-checked, I had no problem with UNchecking them.

(The appearance reminded me of the Avast installers trying to do the same thing.)

If you can't uncheck them, then you should wait until the SLIM build is released... hopefully in a few days.

P.S.  For what it's worth, I haven't updated CCleaner since 5.08.   I'm tired of all the "improvements", most of which are for Win8.1/10...

I'll wait for SLIM... I only update ccleaner once in a while and hadn't updated in a while so tried to do it yesterday. Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I went to Piriform's site using the link in the lower right corner of the app's main page.  Maybe that installer doesn't let the user uncheck the Google boxes...?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 16th, 2017 04:00

February's patches have been postponed/deferred for an entire month!   They will become part of the MARCH updates, scheduled for 14 March.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-delay-its-february-patches-to-march-14/

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 16th, 2017 10:00

Has there been a change in the way MS provides updates for Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7)?

I have Windows Update set to NEVER, but I usually check manually for updates ~1:00 PM local time every day when I take my break. There's been an MSE update virtually every day for eons, except for past few days, when it says "everything is up-to-date".

Just checked MSE's own update history and it shows that an update was installed at ~10:15 AM today but I didn't check for updates myself..

WU is still set to NEVER and I don't see any options for scheduling MSE to check for updates on any of MSE's own screens. MSE is not set to scan on a defined schedule so it didn't update itself as part of running a scheduled scan.

:emotion-18:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 04:00

The CCleaner SLIM build is now available (from the link cited above).

No Events found!