Highlighted
7 Gold

RE: Updates 6/14/16 - "Microsoft Tuesday"

(With acknowledgement to BB for posting...um, shall we say... "elsewhere" )

Microsoft’s update KB3159398 ( MS16-072), is causing serious problems in Windows Group Policy.
http://borncity.com/win/2016/06/16/update-kb315939​8-breaks-group-policy-in-windows/ 

Known issues  MS16-072 changes the security context with which user group policies are retrieved. This by-design behavior change protects customers’ computers from a security vulnerability. Before MS16-072 is installed, user group policies were retrieved by using the user’s security context. After MS16-072 is installed, user group policies are retrieved by using the machines security context.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

So what's the "average" user supposed to do? Run the PowerShell script offered through that site or wait until MacroStupid fixes this latest mess?

And how does one run a PowerScript .ps1 file?

Don't know if this is related, but I'm having issues logging into certain sites today, including this forum, as I described elsewhere...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Ron,

I'll freely admit being confused about the nature and extent of the Group Policy "bork" cited above.   I posted the information here as soon as I saw BB's post.   It was only hours later that I had a chance to investigate the matter.

First and foremost, I think it's unlikely that individual users have even set-up group policies on their own PCs. 

Second, on some machines were I have used the LOCAL Group Policy Editor (GPEdit.msc) , I did some quick testing, and confirmed that the policies I had set there were still functioning correctly.

Indeed, the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.msc) that's being referenced in the article, for implementing the suggested fix, "unifies management of Group Policy across the enterprise" --- which sure sounds to me like they're talking about a linked/networked group of computers for business/institutional purposes.    And as best as I can read things, the ability to run PowerScript files is part of the GPMC download.

Hopefully, someone will be able to clarify and simply all this.  

Unless you're experiencing some of the bugs cited in the article (e.g., if your desktop icons are no longer working), I'd say you should just ignore this... unless/until we hear otherwise.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

My desktop icons seem to be working ok, but some software, eg Nitro Reader (a pdf editor), isn't working today.

It loads but becomes unresponsive, eg, won't open any files, none of its toolbars work. Have to use Task Manager to kill it...

Things were working before I installed the updates yesterday...  [:'(]

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Gallium

1) Although the article link in ky's post suggests that Win 10 systems are affected, I find no evidence that the KB3159398 update was installed on my Win 10. And the "applies to" info at this MS page does not include Win 10:
support.microsoft.com/.../3159398

2) Once again, my policy of waiting to manually install updates for Win 7 proves its worth. After going to the Windows Update site (which, even 2 days after Patch Tuesday, took an astonishing 55 minutes to list the 15 important updates applicable - some 130 MB) I see that MS is still offering KB3159398, despite the problems with it that are now well documented at several sites. I have hidden it, and will wait a week or so before installing any of the others. 

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 4.x Premium, Windows Defender AV, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Dad-gum-it!!

After experiencing Reluctant Windows Updates, Part 2, on this month's batch for several attempts the last few days, I finally tried again today. I told the computer to download and install what's left of the current batch, because a few went ahead and installed. I had not checked the forum for these last few comments concerning this problem before doing so. So, hours later, up popped the restart request. They had downloaded while I was elsewhere. This is my computer with Vista.

Included amongst the updates is 3159398 which is pending because I have been busy with stuff and have not done the restart yet. I guess there is no way to avoid instlaliling this update. I will close down the computer at the end of the day without restarting, not sure what harm might come to my computer if I wnt ahead and installed it. Will check my ohter computer to see and hide this update for the time being, since it has not download and install these updates yet.

EDIT:

Have had the Windows 7 computer on for three hours attempting to download last weeks updates. It seems like I must be in some kind of queue, since the other computer finally got the updates after a prolonged period of being connected. I wonder if this is going to become par for the course from now on. The frequent definition updates don't seem to have a problem. Oh well!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

After 5 hours the long awaited updates arrived on the Win 7 machine. Now beginning the long wait for a small definitions update on the Vista computer. emoticon.Huh?.title emoticon.Sleep.title

0 Kudos