Highlighted
7 Gold

Updates 7/12/16 - "Microsoft+Adobe Tuesday"

This thread is currently "under construction", and will be edited for the remainder of today.   Please excuse any blank spaces or crossed-out "placeholders" for items expected to be announced.

Today is Microsoft Tuesday --- the SECOND Tuesday of the month --- on which Microsoft is expected to release its monthly cycle of Windows critical/security updates.   Based on previous history, they should become available at 1 P.M. [USA - Eastern Daylight Saving Time]

Please use Windows/Automatic Updates to determine which updates are applicable to your particular system.

Adobe is also expected to join-in, with updates for Reader/Acrobat and Flash.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
7 Gold

RE: Updates 7/12/16 - "Microsoft+Adobe Tuesday"

Adobe Flash has been updated to  22.0.0.209.

In today's scheduled release, we've updated Flash Player with important bug fixes and security updates.
These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Direct downloads (no bundled junk) for Windows 7 and earlier emoticon.Star.title:
=======================================

=======================================

emoticon.Star.title Flash (ActiveX) for IE/Edge in Win8.1/10 was updated to 22.0.0.209 , via Microsoft Update Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-093 - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (3174060) https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-093  

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Panda DOME 18.7.4, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader, for Windows.  

These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. 

Adobe Reader XI, sequential update (starting from any Windows 11.x version) to 11.0.17

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=6082

=========================

Remark:   For people using Reader DC (Document Cloud), or other Reader versions for Windows, you can locate your appropriate update here:  https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

For people using Acrobat  for Windows, you can locate your appropriate update here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

============

Documentation has been released as https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/acrobat/apsb16-26.html

and https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/11/11.0.17.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

The Adobe Reader/Acrobat updates insist on reactivating several associated StartUp programs (registry entries) that you might have previously disabled.

I've found the most effective way to stop them is to use CCleaner, select Tools / Startup , and then click-on and DISABLE each of the Adobe entries (if present):

Acrotray (Adobe Assistant)

ARM

SpeedLauncher

[ Not sure why, but CCleaner is doing a better job on these Adobe "pests" than WinPatrol.... ]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Reminder:   Adobe Acrobat X [10] and Adobe Reader X [10] are no longer supported; end-of-life was 11/15/15.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

From https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms16-jul :

The following 6  updates are rated CRITICAL:

MS16-084 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (3169991)

MS16-085 Cumulative Security Update for Microsoft Edge (3169999) 

MS16-086 Cumulative Security Update for JScript and VBScript (3169996)

MS16-087 Security Update for Windows Print Spooler Components (3170005)

MS16-088 Security Update for Microsoft Office (3170008)

MS16-093 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (3174060)

=================================

The following 5 updates are rated IMPORTANT:

MS16-089 Security Update for Windows Secure Kernel Mode (3170050)

MS16-090  Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers (3171481)

MS16-091 Security Update for .NET Framework (3170048)

MS16-092 Security Update for Windows Kernel (3171910)

MS16-094 Security Update for Secure Boot (3177404)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

WARNING:  The link for this separate download of the MSRT is now pre-checking a box to also download "MSN default homepage & Bing default search engine".    Be sure to uncheck this, unless you really want it!

Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT, MRT) for July, version 5.38

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx 

Reminder:   Users who are paranoid about the remote possibility of a FP can opt to run this tool from a Command Prompt, appending a   /N   parameter [for "detect only" mode].

Make sure you get v5.38 --- the link (at least initially) may be offering older versions...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

This month's MSRT adds detection/removal of:

Win32/Cerber - "ransomware that can stop you from using your PC or accessing your data. It might ask you to pay money to a malicious hacker. It can play a text-to-speech or synthesized recording, show a web page, or a plain text document.

This threat might have been installed on your PC from spam emails."

==========================

For additional information, see https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2016/07/12/msrt-july-2016-cerber-ransomware/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

On this Win7x64 SP1 system --- after a search exceeding 2 hours!!! ---  

I was offered 10 updates (6 Windows 7; + 4 Office 2010) totaling 134.7 MB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Gallium

On this Win7x64 SP1 system --- after a search exceeding 2 hours!!! ---  

Oh boy, I thought- here we go again: another 1-2 hour wait for WU to scan my Win 7x64, for about the 4th month in a row. So after a bit of researching, I found the MS Windows Update FAQ site (last revised June 2016):
support.microsoft.com/.../windows-update-faq

I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter from MS  from the link there:
go.microsoft.com/

It took only a minute or so, and reported that Issues found/fixed included:
Service registration is missing or corrupt-> Reset service registration
Problems installing recent updates-> Repair Windows Update

It also reported that about 12 potential issues were not detected.

I then went to the WU site, and (mirabile dictu!) the "Check for updates" scan completed in only one or two minutes. The MS Word, Excel, and Outlook patches took only 5 minutes to download/install. (I'm still waiting another week to download/install the IE11, .Net and Windows 7 security patches, as per my usual practice).

I can't be sure it was the Update Troubleshooter that prevented another long scan, but thought I'd report my experience.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 4.x Premium, Windows Defender AV, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos