Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2009 05:00

Updates - December 14, 2009

This topic is for anyone who would like to discuss a specific update.

Feel free to post daily reminders of updates and version changes for some of the most popular security programs such as: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot, and others.

Many of the free ones are listed here: FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

338 Posts

December 14th, 2009 07:00

Bugbatter; I use to be able to click on updates and see all the updates that were available for the day and month. Am I missing something now? I don't seem to see the the update link. Has that link been discontinued? Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 14th, 2009 13:00

SpywareBlaster Database update 12/14/2009

38 new ActiveX items for a total of 13090 in database.
Update via the program updater

Remember to enable protections!

20.5K Posts

December 14th, 2009 17:00

Thanks, Joe. :emotion-1:

Evermore, perhaps you are thinking of the link to Calendar Of Updates. We do not use that anymore because Ads by Google started showing up on that page. We would rather not have Dell Community Members follow a link to a page with those.

338 Posts

December 15th, 2009 08:00

Thanks Bugbatter. Now I know why, I guess I missed it when you made the change. A good reason though.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 15th, 2009 23:00

It is perhaps unfortunate that CoU needs to rely on Google Ads to pay its bills, and stay online. I am not a fan of anything Google.

However, I am reliably informed that for those who wish to take advantage of the valuable services provided by CoU, that those who register to become members of CoU (it's free!) are not subjected to these ads.

As a long-time member of CoU, I can attest that I have seen no ads, Google or otherwise.

20.5K Posts

December 20th, 2009 04:00

those who register to become members of CoU (it's free!) are not subjected to these ads.

Joe, I have been a registered member of COU for years.  When logged in, I still see the ads.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 20th, 2009 13:00

Joe, I have been a registered member of COU for years.  When logged in, I still see the ads.

Decidedly curious!

Logged in or out, I am not seeing these ads in any of my browsers. No matter what add-on or bho I disable (e.g. NoScript). Which tends to rule out any of my browser settings. Particularly Opera, which I have left in its basic default installation configuration.

Yet it appears I have something installed (or perhaps not installed) that blocks Google ads, which I never see at any website.

SpywareBlaster?
MBAM paid IP blocking?
MVPS Hosts file?
WOT settings?
NOD32 settings?
OutPost Pro firewall settings? (IP blocklist for OPP?)
OpenDNS settings?
Something in WinPatrol Plus?
Windows Defender?
Some XP/sp3 patch?

Lack of using the Google toolbar or any other Google software? (My personal usual suspects).

Whatever; I won't look this gift-horse too closely in the mouth. :emotion-1:

20.5K Posts

December 20th, 2009 13:00

I don't really have time to troubleshoot this again, but I will add that I am using the following:
SpywareBlaster
MBAM paid IP blocking
WOT
WinPatrol Plus
XP/sp3 fully patched

I do not use any Google software, except that I do use gmail (webmail).

20.5K Posts

December 29th, 2009 05:00

Currently, I do not see the ads at COU anymore and have done nothing to change my settings/security. However, because of the inconsistency, and DCF's view on linking to pages with such ads, I will not include the link to COU in our daily Updates topic.  Anyone who wants to continue using it can simply add it to their Favorites..

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 29th, 2009 22:00

Bb:

1) I understand and accept your position.

2) CoU recently updated their board, which maybe accounts for what you (don't) see now.

3) My main interest was why I see no Google Ads anywhere, with any of my browsers. (And to be honest, I'm not even sure what the risks of these ads are, or even what they look like. Can any ad, not clicked on, pose any threat?)

20.5K Posts

December 30th, 2009 06:00

Can any ad, not clicked on, pose any threat?)
If those ads are not clicked on, they wouldn't pose a threat. In the past DCF has not wanted us to send people to sites with Google Ads. I do see Google Ads on sites, and some do show WOT's red icon next to them. There was a discussion about this when it was stated in the old TOS several years ago, and that is why we like to give links to direct downloads for tools and fixes if possible, rather than sending DCF members to a site to look for one.

No Events found!