Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 17th, 2017 07:00

What is the best anti-virus/malware/spyware software?

Hi,

I'm getting a new pc. My old one was plagued by viruses despite my constant attempts to rid them from my system and my antivirus software. So I'm looking to get the best software out there that is available so I don't have to deal with this stupid problem again.

I will have Vista home premium 64 bit. I will be using to computer for online gaming and also see the youtube videos and the explainer video, p2p, internet use ect. My Internet service provider supplies a free Mcafee version (they claim it is $120 value) but I'm not sure exactly all that it offers.

So what is the best anti-virus and anti-spyware software available? I'm not too concerned about the price, as far as I'm concerned almost any price will be worth not having to deal with constant trojans and viruses plaguing my rig. Should I go with what Comcast is offering for free or is there better stuff out there?

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 17th, 2017 09:00

a new pc [with] Vista home premium 64 bit ???

My understanding is that extended support for Vista ended in April of this year... I can't picture any new Vista machines being available.   Assuming you can actually find one, keep in mind that Vista's "security" doesn't compare to current standards (i.e., what you'd get with Win10)... so if your primary concern is keeping your system secure and virus-free, I don't see Vista (if still available) as the answer.

As for the question of "best" antivirus, there's no real answer to that question.   Some people insist that paid programs are better than free ones ("you get what you pay for"), while others sincerely believe that several of the free programs do a great job.

Personally, I use avast (free) or panda (free) on my various systems, and have not had a virus problem with either.   But I also am very careful how/where I surf, and have several "layers" of supplemental protection, as indicated in my signature.

20.5K Posts

July 17th, 2017 10:00

Spammer needs to update his script.

No Events found!