Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 4th, 2019 10:00

Win 10 update causing high CPU usage

Recent Win 10 update KB4512941 causes high CPU usage in Cortana. This lets Cortana eat as much as 40% of CPU time when/if you disable its ability to use Bing for local searches.

Three possible work-arounds until MS fixes their latest mess...

Read here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4512941-update-causing-high-cpu-usage-in-cortana/

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

September 5th, 2019 15:00

I would urge that people not click on the link in the comment above

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 5th, 2019 16:00

@dalem29   - Care to explain your comment?

The link I posted to BleepingComputer is safe and offers the details about the CPU usage issues with that MS update and offers some potential work-arounds.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 5th, 2019 17:00

I confirm that link is safe, and the advice offered by Lawrence Abrams is good.

Yet more evidence of the wisdom of delaying these wretched updates for up to one month (my practice). Let others be beta testers ...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 5th, 2019 18:00

@joe53- Thanks for confirming that link is safe. I don't know why dalem29 posted that comment. He posted the exact same comment in my other thread on this forum which asks for advice on correct FF security settings for this forum, and I didn't even post any links In that other thread.

Just think about all the "fun" you're missing by holding off on these MS updates. Don't you want to be the first kid on the block with the latest bits of tech?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 5th, 2019 20:00

Ron: .

LOL - I surely don't miss the "fun" a-la-MSU

Seriously, I have been delaying installing MS updates for more than a decade with no adverse effects. I have certainly dodged several bullets due to update errors. The only exception I make is for the rare "out of band" critical security patches.

My rationale is that if MS feels it can delay releasing patches for up to one month, so can I.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 6th, 2019 11:00

@joe53  - I hear you loud and clear! 

And still waiting for @dalem29 to explain his issues with both of my recent threads...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 7th, 2019 16:00

Interesting...I was looking in Task Manager at the list of processes that are running on this Win 10 Pro, 64-bit lappy.

There's an odd icon shown next to Cortana on the list, and when moused over it says: "This UWP process is suspended to improve system performance".

Did MS sneak in a patch when I wasn't looking that suspends Cortana because of its high CPU usage caused by installation of KB4512941..??

FWIW, I NEVER use Cortana and I had disabled its ability to use Bing for local searches on the PC which is the condition that causes Cortana to eat up CPU time when KB4512941 is installed.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 8th, 2019 16:00

I notice the same icon/warning on my Win10 Pro x64 Task Manager, not only for Cortana but for another 6 processes. I have no idea what process is actually suspended, as my Cortana is fully functional to voice enquiries, although I rarely use it. And the Bing web search is working.

At one time I knew how to disable both (you can't uninstall Cortana) but the methods I have found on the internet lead nowhere for me at this time. MS has changed the GUI of Cortana settings. (I'm not going to try the RegEdit approach).

UWP (Universal Widow Platform) is a somewhat discredited app, according to the verge.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/18645609/microsofts-universal-windows-app-dead-microsoft-store-windows-store

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

September 9th, 2019 15:00

Sorry for the confusion, but the last time I came to the site a few days ago, someone other than you had left a comment on the two threads in question, giving some vague technical advice. The comment contained a link to a dot com website that appeared to be trying to sell something or trade merchandise. Knowing we should never click on any questionable links in the Dell forums, I issued a warning to other users in both cases, that it could be unsafe to go to that site...not sure if the links were clickable or not. This kind of issue has occasionally come up here before . I don't know who the unknown poster was , or who removed the comments. I have been coming here for years and don't have a reputation for causing trouble or making a scene. Once again, sorry of any misunderstanding.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 9th, 2019 16:00

@dalem29  - Your excuse sounds fishy to me!

I didn't see any other posts in either of my 2 recent threads in this forum, aside from @joe53 and you in this one, and nobody other than you in the other one. So You must be imagining posts and/or links.

In the future, please don't respond to any threads that I post, and I won't respond to yours...

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 9th, 2019 22:00

I don't want to get involved in this dispute, other than to say that similar conflicts have resulted in the past where spam posts have been deleted by moderators, and subsequent critical posts remained that appeared to be responding to the wrong poster.

I would just suggest that when warning readers of suspicious posts or links, to always mention the name of the poster containing questionable content or links. Better yet, copy/paste the questionable post (though I've had problems doing this recently using certain browsers).

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

September 10th, 2019 09:00

To RoHe.. I certainly did not make any of this up or have any reason to, so I find questioning my honesty is bit unreasonable on your part, nor do I understand you're making such an issue out it. At any rate, I will heed you request and not post in threads created by you.
No Events found!