Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2015 16:00

Windows Diagnostic Tracking Service

Just got offered update KB3022345 to install Windows Diagnostic Tracking Service for Win 7 Pro, which is standard part of Win 10.

Here's what MS says:

DiagTrack - The Diagnostics Tracking Service

When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:

• install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,
  • use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,
  • open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance, or
  • enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto complete and spell check features.

Sounds like just any other keystroke logger...

NO THANKS!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 6th, 2015 12:00

Trojan Horse!

Touché!

I rejected this update on my Win 7 PC but -unexpectedly- found it installed on my  Win 8.1.1 laptop. So promptly removed it from there.

The problem will be with Win 10 because we'll no longer have the option to accept an update or not. They'll ALL be force fed to us and unless we're vigilant and MacoStupid is honest about what each update does, we'll never know what they're stealing from us.

And even if we do know what an update actually does, unless MS provides a way to uninstall it, we're stuck.  MS may -unintentionally- spur a new breed of hackers who investigate every single update in minute detail and develop tools to uninstall the objectionable ones.  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 13th, 2015 12:00

It was "optional" when I rejected it in Win 7 and also removed it from my Win 8.1 system. We've seen other updates change their status but it's not clear -at least not to me- why an update's status changes.

Next time this update is offered, if you still don't want it, just uncheck its box and then right-click and hide it so it won't be offered again.

If for some reason you later decide you do want it, you can always unhide hidden updates and install it.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 15th, 2015 14:00

Update KB3022345 has been causing corruptions across thousands of computers, the issue is with Windows 7 and 8:

After installing this update you may notice two corrupt files after running SFC /SCANNOW.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/14163-guide-kb3022345-causing-corrupt-files.html#post104495 

[Acknowledgment to Corrine for posting on FB]

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 5th, 2015 22:00

Or a Trojan Horse! (wasn't the latest MS browser called "Spartan" until recently? As I recall, "Helen of Troy" was from Sparta originally, and her fellow Greeks created the first Trojan Horse).

I note that KB3022345 is an optional update. I have not installed any of these for years, as they did not address issues on my systems. Why would anyone install a tracking service that collected such personal data?

2 Posts

May 7th, 2015 05:00

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SOURCE THAT TEXT IS FOR THE DIAGNOSTICS TRACKING SERVICE.

That text is for the PREVIEW VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 in general.

Stop spreading nonsense. I had to make an account for this msg.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2015 09:00

I just wondered, how this tiny update was that visible in Taskmanager. It ran 5 processes using quite a bit of resourses, and I choose to uninstall it. Btw, it was an update, I could choose - not an important one.....in the first place. Then, when I ran update again, it showed up as an important update this time. Can anybody, please, tell me, if I need this update, as long as my laptops runs Win7 Pro and Win8.1.3. 64 bit. Thanks a lot in advance, 'cause I'm confused after reading the comments in this thread. Greets from Denmark.

3 Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

Thanks a lot, RoHe. I came to the same conclusion, and now I'll sleep well again - knowing, I'm not the only one 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 15th, 2015 16:00

Soooo glad I didn't accept this one! :emotion-4:

3 Posts

May 16th, 2015 11:00

Ha Ha, RoHe, so am I - and I'm very happy, I found this forum as the happy Dell Alienware owner, I am :emotion-4:

2 Posts

May 20th, 2015 04:00

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SOURCE THAT TEXT IS FOR THE DIAGNOSTICS TRACKING SERVICE.

That text is for the PREVIEW VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 in general.

Stop spreading nonsense. I had to make an account for this msg.

OP, will you answer to this? Or are you just a Microsoft hater with no backing to the claims you just googled from a questionable blog?

Also, the "corruptions"  are nothing you would ever notice. It was discovered by the people that scan their system daily.

They caused no real world problem to anyone before and after they were discovered.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 20th, 2015 04:00

With Windows 8.1, KB3022345 is causing “USB device not recognized” error messages on the desktop whenever you plug in a USB device, such as a phone or a flash drive... . Removing the update doesn’t solve the problem, so for the moment, the only way to fix it is a system restore that could get the computer to a previous state, when the update is not installed. 

[ Everything seems to be working fine in Windows 7.]

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Update-KB3022345-Said-to-Be-Causing-USB-Device-Not-Recognized-Errors-481632.shtml

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 27th, 2015 04:00

Quoting from my earlier post:

Update KB3022345 has been causing corruptions across thousands of computers, the issue is with Windows 7 and 8:

After installing this update you may notice two corrupt files after running SFC /SCANNOW. 

------------------------

Microsoft has officially acknowledged this in Revision 6.0 (21 May) of KB 3022345 , stating:

"This update contains the following two manifests that are occasionally updated by the Diagnostic Tracking Service:

• telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
  • utc.app.json

The two files are marked as static files in the update. When an advanced user runs the System File Checker Tool (sfc.exe), the files are unintentionally flagged as corrupted. There is no impact or corruption on a device that is running this update, and this issue will be fixed in a later service update."

---

Source:  

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2926179/microsoft-windows/microsoft-confirms-patch-kb-3022345-breaks-sfc-scannow.html

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

Lest I be redundant, so glad I dogged this bullet. :emotion-4:

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 14:00

You can just disable the DiagTrack service

No Events found!