Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 9th, 2017 15:00

Windows Event Viewer Scam - Dell phone number, knew my service tag

TL;DR: I got a scam call from Dell's "concierge" number (1-877-790-3355). The caller had several pieces of personal information, including my name and service tag, and details of my recent system servicing. He said Dell had been notified that my computer was downloading malware, and got me to open the Windows Event Viewer, showing me the errors in my administrative events folder. He told me to delete these, which was when my suspicion finally got the better of me and I hung up. He called back, first on the same number, then on another one that appeared on caller ID as "Global Pacemind" (Everett, WA, USA - 1-425-609-3257). I told him that I didn't have time right now (I wasn't yet 100% sure this was a scam, but didn't like where it was going), and he said that he'd call back.

Detailed version:

After my laptop was returned from repair at Dell's depot (system board replacement), I received a call from Dell's "concierge" phone number, 1-877-790-3355. The caller knew my name, and said he was calling about my computer. He quoted my service number and the date I had called Dell's technical support line.

He said that the company had received a notification from my computer that I'd used their code to activate Windows 10 (which I had - my operating system was reset to the factory-default Windows 8 during the system board replacement, and I was beginning the process of restoring my system). Because he had access to so many details that only a company employee should have had, I talked to him, but the call didn't follow quite the same pattern as a normal tech support call, and I quickly became suspicious.

He told me that they'd received warning that the system was downloading "all kinds of malicious files from the internet". The phrasing seemed unprofessional, and the unsolicited warning seemed both dramatic and unlikely. He asked me to open the "Run" window and told me to type in "eventvwr", reading the letters (painfully slowly) in a phonetic alphabet. Because I've used Event Viewer before, I knew where this was going, and my neck hairs were rising. I started googling his number, which checked out, and "Dell call event viewer", which immediately came back with "SCAM".

Once in Event Viewer, he asked me to open "Custom Views" and then "Administrative Events", where there were a number of errors logged (to my knowledge, there are always errors logged here, most of which look scary but are basically inconsequential). He indicated that these errors were all viruses, and asked me to read off the number of events. He told me to start deleting these event errors. Since I knew it doesn't work that way, this was the final warning sign for me, and I hung up.

He called back within 5 seconds, still using the Dell concierge number. I ignored him. Then I got another call from what caller ID indicated was "Global Pacemind" (Everett, WA, USA - 1-425-609-3257). Figuring that maybe it was someone ACTUALLY from Dell calling, I answered. It was the same caller, saying "sorry that we got cut off there". I told him that I was "too busy to do this now"... I wanted to buy some time to look around and see if anyone else had experienced this scam. He said he'd call me back in a few days, and hung up.

His knowledge of a number of unique details was what kept me talking to him. It suggests to me that Dell's customer information database has been hacked, shared, or otherwise compromised. Either that or this was some kind of inside job.

Has anyone else had a call from these folks before?

9.4K Posts

August 10th, 2017 08:00

Hi keegansmith,

Thanks for posting.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Protection of your data is a top priority for Dell. Unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent across our industry. We’d love for you to take a moment to help us stop cybercriminals by reporting details about your interaction. Would you please complete this form www.dell.com/reportphonescams? This will allow us to investigate further.

August 10th, 2017 08:00

Hi Robert,

No worries, already completed the form yesterday (before posting here).

Do you know how these guys could have access to my information? I understand that this is an area of increasing activity, but whether this was a security breach, information-sharing from a rogue employee, or an instance where Dell's customer information is passed to a contractor/third party for some purpose, I'd say this is a pretty major issue. What's being done on the investigative side to look into this?

This is definitely a major trust problem for me with the company, and the repair depot specifically. From the consumer's perspective, warranty coverage is an insurance policy; I pay a little up front for otherwise potentially expensive repairs down the road, and when I send the hardware off, Dell technicians should be able to properly fix it, since they built the machine originally. In exchange, Dell has received my loyalty as a customer.

As of writing, my laptop has been sent to Dell's depot for repair twice, and a technician came to perform repairs at my location once. The first depot repair job returned the laptop with a damaged video cable port, a result of shoddy work during the installation of the original system board. The visiting technician replaced the board with a refurbished board, which caused massive problems within a few hours of his visit, as my computer repeatedly and randomly crashed. And now, within hours of having the laptop back from the 3rd repair (2nd trip to depot), I find out that my personal information (and I have no idea just how much information) has been sold/shared/lost to a scammer. So, after weeks of going without my laptop and/or dealing with debilitating system problems, and after receiving shoddy repair work time and again, I now find out that this whole experience wasn't free after all - aside from the money paid for the product and extended warranty coverage, I've also paid for my with the personal information that I had entrusted to Dell for stewardship.

I'm sorry for the rant, Robert, but let's say I'm "disappointed" by this turn of events.

Now, back to the matter at hand - this scammer said they'd call back on Friday. I'm guessing they'll play it safe and move on to somebody else, but if they do call, is there any information that I can try to get from them that will help in your investigation?

Thanks,

Keegan

9.4K Posts

August 10th, 2017 10:00

Hi Keegan,

Once again, apologies that your computer was not working as you expected.  With that said, your information is safe, and every precaution is being taken by Dell to safeguard it. I would not continue to give the calling party any more personal information, as Dell does not call customers unless it is pre-arranged after you called us or you have permitted the call in an online chat.

I do not know, nor do I have access to information regarding investigations by the Fraud department, as they don't normally share that with anyone, so I can not provide you answers there.

Regards,

September 29th, 2017 16:00

We have apparently been subject to Dell's inability to keep our info private too.  I was just called and asked to run "eventvwr" and was provided the Service Tag and Express Service Code on my machine as proof of their legitimateness, along with my personal contact info (after all, that's how they called me).

January 28th, 2018 15:00

This has been happening to people since late 2015 early 2016.   Calls from a spoofed dell phone number with scammers having information that only Dell techs should have.  There has been articles written about it as well.  Dell has never properly addressed this with their customers and we get the same canned response that this guy has given us.

I would get them in waves,  30 or so calls in a 2 week period then they stop,  only to restart 6 months later, same **bleep**.  I have tried to get Dell to step up and address this properly but they will just give you bs responses and a run around. 

Thing Dell is not saying is the problem is probably on their end, either they have been "hacked"  or someone internal is leaking information.   Both and I am sure there a good number of people out there that have been scammed because of this and Dell still does not deal with the situation in a proper way.  Any company out there can have an issue like this, but its the way they handle it that is important.   How do you trust Dell if they wont take responsibly and reach out to their customers to inform them there is a problem.  

May 25th, 2018 11:00

Just got called at work and "they" assumed that it was my home #..  These guys are getting our info from inside Dell..  Kinda **bleep**..  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 25th, 2018 17:00

@jerrylowery wrote:

Just got called at work and "they" assumed that it was my home #..  These guys are getting our info from inside Dell..  Kinda **bleep**..  

Read this and then file a phone scam report with Dell.

1 Message

June 28th, 2018 10:00

Same thing here.  Been going on for a year or so.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 28th, 2018 11:00

@gretchenh wrote:

Same thing here.  Been going on for a year or so.  

Have you read the links in my previous post and filed a report with Dell?

1 Message

June 28th, 2018 12:00

On June 25th, I had a prearranged, legitimate service call from a Dell Tech Concierge technician. He also followed-up on my 'last' scam report - I have had repeated scam calls but the last was in November. The tech gave me the scam "hotline" number, but given that it had been 7 months since the last scam attempt, I figured Dell had taken care of the problem....WRONG!

Just this morning I got a scam call - the name and number on the caller ID was legit, the "technician" was not.  He started with the "...we have received an error report..."  I knew right away this was fraud, but I asked him for my service tag number, which he gave me.  I then asked him to give me the last time I had service - he not only had the date, but also the service request number and the name of the technician.  When he asked if he could have access to my computer, I told him "no' and that I would be contacting the Dell phone scam hot line.  He immediately disconnected.

I called the hot line and filed the on-line report, but I am not confident in Dell's security.  For the thief to have this current information indicates an inside job so I will not be renewing my concierge agreement. 

3 Posts

August 1st, 2018 10:00

I received a call exactly like this yesterday. The call was pretty convincing, especially when I saw the Dell number. I just received my computer back from service so I believed the call was legit at first. The call started out with the scammer telling me that Dell had identified a number of errors within my  operating system. I was instructed to download GotoAssist so the scammer could remote in. After that he proceeded open up event viewer and showed me the warnings. I was actually having a problem with one of those issues so I was till hooked.

He told me that the Dell service tech did not fix my computer properly then proceeded to perform a Dir Scan via entereing netstat at the cmd prompt. He started out showing me that my SSL had been deleted then went to a site that defined what SSL was. He showed me the active connections and stated that they were from a foreign address. He then had me go to IP Location.net and typed in one of the addresses from the scan performed earlier and the IP address cam up from Nigeria.

He also showed me a screen that showed over 80 **bleep** videos were uploaded to a **bleep** site called Tube8. He stated that a hacker had gotten access to my network so I needed to purchase an SSL to eliminate the hackers access to my network. There were three pricing options: the first was $499; the second was $799; and the third was $999. I was instructed to get a Dell prepaid card to purchase this "protection." At this point I started getting suspicious. I am embarrassed it took me so long. Anyway, I then proceeded to articulate the cursor on the computer. The scammer then says, "I told you not to not mess with the computer." I then disconnected him from my PC. He then states, "why did you do that, don't waste my time" then hung up. My suspicions were confirmed when he replied in that manner. 

I have to say, it is a great scam; I am pretty computer savvy and I almost fell for it.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2018 11:00

100% agree my friend. After I dispatched the scammer I am thinking, "how in the heck did these guys get my personal information." The only conclusion I could come up with was what you have elaborated.; there has to be someone on the inside leaking this information or perpetrating the act themselves. I may not be purchasing another Dell after this experience combined with the lack of action on Dell's part to address.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2018 11:00

@DavidG777 - Never let some stranger remote into your PC!!

How much stuff did he steal from you? You'd be wise to change passwords on every account, website etc ASAP. And run a complete malware scan on your PC to see if he left anything behind and get rid of the software you installed to let him remote in.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your message. Protection of your data is a top priority for Dell.

Please contact us immediately on this https://dell.to/2OEHEmP , you can either fill the form online or contact us on the number provided in the link.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2018 23:00

I disconnected from call unscathed. Of course, I realize one should never let a stranger remote in but when one thinks it is Dell most people would. Dell has logged in remotely in the past so I thought legit. Perp got pretty upset when I disconnected. I accomplished all of the items you indicated within minutes after call to be secure and also switched to MAC Filtering for access from this point to prevent a future incursion.

No Events found!