Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 19th, 2010 08:00

Windows Vista/Inspiron 1520 Factory Restore problem - stuck at 'Other User' Login Screen - Please help!

I wonder if someone can help me as I'm at my wits end!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista. I recently ended up with a load of malware and viruses and was only able to remove some of them. I'm still having computer problems so I've backed up everything and want to restore to factory condition.

I've followed the instructions for doing this (F8 -> 'Repair My Computer') but after selecting Repair My Computer I'm taken to a login screen with one user option - 'Other User' and whatever I type in for User Name and Password, it says is incorrect.

I just want to reset everything back to factory condition but I can't get past this!

I'm hoping someone out there will know what to do as I'm completely stuck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm also posting this in the Laptop and Software & Operating Systems forums as I'm not sure exactly what category this problem comes under.

Please help!

Rod

20.5K Posts

October 19th, 2010 09:00

You will need to reformat/reinstall. Rather than my repeating the instructions, please read the reply here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19350498.aspx

Once your computer is up and running well, please make sure you have installed good security. If you have questions about that, we will be glad to help.

6 Posts

October 19th, 2010 11:00

Thanks very much for you help.

Rod

20.5K Posts

October 19th, 2010 13:00

You're welcome. Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

If you want to consider free security please see these pages for  LISTS OF FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE  

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

No Events found!