Evermore
3 Argentium

Windows log files.

I use CCleaner to clean my temperary files. I notice in systems/ window log files, it always cleans a few window log files. Do I need to look at the log files once in awhile and do anything with these files? I know how to access them through the control panel>Administrative tools>Event Viewer. Is this something I need to stay out of? Are these files used for trouble shooting by the experts? I'm just curious when I see these files being deleted!! Should any other files be deleted? Thanks for any comments.

Asus computer with  Windows 10 OS  Built in Windows Defender A.V and Windows firewall, McShield,  MBAM, SAS, Spyware Blaster, Secunia PSI, Win Patrol Plus, Microsoft Edge and Firefox, WOT on Browsers.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
joe53
5 Rhenium

Re: Windows log files.

Hi Evermore:

I have never checked Windows log files for removal. When I do so now I see they occupy only about 2 MB of HD space, which really isn't a concern for me.

That said, they are safe to delete. If, as you say, they include the contents of Event Viewer, then I personally would not wipe them. I find Event Viewer contents useful on occasion to help diagnose glitches.

I also leave unchecked all the entries in the Advanced section.

Finally, I leave the Registry tool alone. No need to mess with the registry.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Are these files used for trouble shooting by the experts?
Yes, that is one of the places some of our diagnostic tools look. You may also have a helper ask you to post the Event Viewer log. I leave that section UNchecked in my CCleaner settings for that reason.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos
Evermore
3 Argentium

Thanks for your advise Joe53 and Bugbatter. I will leave my windows log files alone.

Asus computer with  Windows 10 OS  Built in Windows Defender A.V and Windows firewall, McShield,  MBAM, SAS, Spyware Blaster, Secunia PSI, Win Patrol Plus, Microsoft Edge and Firefox, WOT on Browsers.

0 Kudos