Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 25th, 2009 14:00

Windows may install updates without asking

"Windows XP and Vista have started installing updates at shutdown, in certain cases, without displaying a warning or requesting permission, according to reports by several readers.

The forced-install behavior has been witnessed at least three times by Windows Secrets editors, but Microsoft says its procedure for Automatic Updates hasn't changed in the last 10 months.

The behavior seems to occur only if a Windows user has Automatic Updates configured to "download updates but don't install them" or "notify me but don't install them." If updates are scheduled to occur automatically, with no notice to users, the silent installation of updates would be expected."

Full story: http://windowssecrets.com/2009/06/25/01-Windows-may-install-updates-without-asking/#story1

Comment: Just another reason why I prefer to manually update at MSU.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2009 10:00

Nice find, Joe, thanks.

My little Sis phoned recently to let me know that her computer too was updating on shutdown , which I found strange because She has AU set to download but don't install - bad MS! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Update: I've been doing a little research and think I may know what is happening, although I can't say for sure until I actually take a look at her computer (XP SP2). I'm not really familiar with XP's shutdown process, but came across the image below -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

- My Sis is fairly new to computers and maybe a little click happy, so I can see from the above image what might have happened :emotion-2:.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2009 14:00

Seems a similar problem with Windows 7 was also reported by Windows Secrets back in march. Although hopefully this will be ironed out before its final release.

Windows 7 won't let you postpone updates - (scroll down to center of page).

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 17:00

No Events found!