Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2011 11:00

Worm???

Hi,

I opened an email which looked legit (post express) as I was expecting a package, opened the attachment and my Dell Inspiron 1545 started crashing.  Macafee kept coming up saying real time scan not on and when I clicked to turn it on, it kept turning off.  I can open with Safe Mode, but my wireless and landline connection don't work.  The only thing I can see when info about dumping and errors come up is  Driver IRQL is not less or equal, and then it all crashes before I can read any other info.

Macafee hasn't repsonded and a friend said the same thing happened to him and he needed to go through a Dell Tech by phone for lots of  ££££ because it was a worm.  I have done a scan with disc I got with computer and all seems OK.  If it is a worm, I've heard they never leave the harddrive, just stay dormant and I will have to get a new email address because just going on to my email will wake it up.  I haven't deleted the email, just put it in my Spam box for now.

Help is appreciated

Trishk

32 Posts

March 19th, 2011 05:00

I'm going in through control panel-add/uninstall programs, but control panel is freezing now.  When I go into task manager,

it shows control panel not responding, but I  don't know how to access Mcafee from task manager.  I'll tr y it from the start menu

but I didn't see Mcafee icon there before it crashed.  I'll try it again and if I have success will let you know, if no sucess will be

back with you after I return at end of week.

thanks

trish

32 Posts

March 27th, 2011 06:00

Hi,

I was able to uninstall Mcafee and have been trying to download Combifix.  When I send it to Desktop, from the flashdrive, it seems to work

and then crashes.  Next time I am able to keep it open in safe mode, I double click on Icon and I get an error message and it crashes.  Twice

I was able to keep it open in safe mode, when flash drive was still  in and it tried to download, but progress bar started flashing and it

crashed. Is there any chance this problem (worm,virus?) be transfered to my flash drive?  I don't know what to do from here,

trish

20.5K Posts

March 27th, 2011 10:00

have been trying to download Combifix
You've been away for a  week, so CF is outdated. Did you download the UPDATED .exe to the flashdrive? Did you copy and paste the renamed ComboFix to the desktop of the infected computer? Run trishk123.exe  from the Desktop - not from the flashdrive.

Safemode is probably the best way to run renamed ComboFix for now. What is the error message that you are getting in Safemode?

32 Posts

March 27th, 2011 12:00

I didn't realize I had to do an update. Should I delete the combifix that is on the laptop or leave it and put the updated one on as well.?.

trish

20.5K Posts

March 27th, 2011 14:00

When did you download the copy that you have? If it was a week ago, yes, delete the old one and go through the same routine with the most recent version. The tool is always changing because malware is always changing. Remember that it has to be renamed before transferring it to the infected computer. I know that you didn't know how long these cleanups can take when you started, but it is not good to start a fix and leave it for a week.

32 Posts

March 28th, 2011 10:00

I didn't realize that a fix shouldn't have a week break, but  I was on job interviews and couldn't take it with me.  I have deleted the combi

fix I downloaded last week and put the latest version on the desktop.  I double click and the progress bar gets about 90% completed

starts flashing and crashes. Right or wrong, I tried it twice and it did the same thing.  What next??

Trish

20.5K Posts

March 28th, 2011 19:00

The trojans that are included in the malware attachment that you opened, can download more malware. It appears that you have not only those trojans, but additional infections as well. I suggest that you either restore to factory settings using Dell PC Restore, or do a reformat/reinstall of Windows.

Instructions for both options are here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&l=en&s=dhs

32 Posts

March 29th, 2011 04:00

OK,  I will do that today.   I don't understand why restoring the system will eliminate the trojan and other infections when malware won't.?

thanks

trish

32 Posts

March 29th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

It didn't work and now won't even start in Safe Mode.  The first screen says that set up is preparing my computer for first use

and then crashes.  F12 does not give me an Open in Safe Mode option, just  to either repair or Open in normal mode.

What are the chances my flash drive is infected?

thanks

Trish

32 Posts

March 29th, 2011 10:00

Hi again,

Do you think I should just go ahead and get a new internal hard drive.? 

thanks

Trish

20.5K Posts

March 29th, 2011 13:00

If you are worried about your flash drive discard it.

I don't see a hardware problem with  the HD.. You can get a new hard drive if you want to, but what I see from what you've told me, and how things seem to be running is a software infection. Reinstalling Windows should fix it.  Make sure you reset your router as well. (There is usually a reset button on there someplace.)

20.5K Posts

March 29th, 2011 14:00

Did you get your disc from Dell?  Maybe if you post on the Operating System Forum  they will have suggestions on how to get the disc to work.

Include a link to this topic so they know about the trojans.

32 Posts

March 29th, 2011 14:00

I didn't realize that I could reinstall windows to eliminate the problem, thought I had to get a new hard drive with new softwareBut I have tried to use the windows 7 reinstallation disc and it doesn't work.  Computer just keeps crashing and I still cant get it open in Safe Mode.

trish

32 Posts

March 30th, 2011 03:00

Yes, the disc came with the laptop.  I'll check out the forum.

thanks

32 Posts

April 1st, 2011 00:00

Hi,

I had to get an aquaintance look at the forum and reinstall windows with my disc,  and it seems to be working OK.  :emotion-2:  Thank  you so

much for your time , patience and help in the past few weeks.  Saved me a bunch of £££££

Trish

No Events found!