Highlighted

avgnt.exe. Bad Image

I have Dell Dimension B110 with Windows XP and IE8.  Past few days when I start up a box appears that reads:  avgnt.exe. Bad Image   The application or DLL C :\WINDOWS\system 32\MSCTF.dll is not a valid Windows image.  Please check this against your installation diskette.    Got this comp. used, have no diskette.  Currently have Avira free security.  Ran full Avira scan and full Malwarebytes scan found nothing.  I had tried avg security about a year ago but it gummed everything up and I uninstalled it and got Avira.  What's going on here?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ky331
6 Indium

Re: avgnt.exe. Bad Image

"not a valid windows image" sounds like the file somehow became corrupted.

For XP (assuming sp3???) the CURRENT version should be 5.1.2600.5512

Using Windows Explorer, do a SEARCH of your LOCAL HARD DRIVE C:  (including all subdirectories) for MSCTF.dll  ; hopefully, you'll find more than one copy.

A "spare" copy may be located in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

if so, perhaps you can (RIGHT-click and) COPY it from there, and then

go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (to any white open area, and RIGHT-click) to PASTE it there, REPLACING the existing (bad) copy.

I say "perhaps", because since this is a Windows file, it may be protected, and not allow you to simply replace it.

Let us know what happens... if it doesn't work, perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

Note:   If Bugbatter replies to this post, I defer fully to her... follow her suggestions rather than mine.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos