Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 22:00

dell backup recovery\components\dbrupdate\hstartexea virus, or is this false positive?

>>>dell backup recovery\components\dbrupdate\hstartexe was spotted as a threat with my ESET NOD32 av.  I could not find the exact file.  I was in the Dell Backup and Recovery folders.  I scanned the whole folder with Malwarebytes and found nothing.  But ESET believes it is a variant of Win32/HiddenStart.

Location is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\DBRUpdate\hstart.exe

I hope this is a false positive.  Anyone else had this problem?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

January 13th, 2014 23:00

I can't answer your question, but you might want to check out this thread:

What's the use of HStart in Dell computers? http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3526/p/19436721/20053470.aspx

I don't have hstart.exe (or Dell Backup and Recovery) on any of my Dell computers using XP or Win 7. Probably because I uninstall all Dell software that comes pre-installed (I've never found any of  it useful).

But others have uploaded a file named hstart.exe to VirusTotal for testing by multiple virus scanners, and you can see one such result here:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3e857094c9d89b31676477ce7d8d523f94c767f3cb0769dae99af76b3c4e004b/analysis/1369211473/

As you can see, ESET considered it a variant of  Win32/HiddenStart there also. Other scanners found it suspicious also; many others did not.

As long as your system is working well, I don't think you need to worry.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 14th, 2014 07:00

"But then I clicked check potentially unsafe applications, that is when it was found..."

The problem with many installers --- including CCleaner (Standard version) --- is that they include offers for "bundled-software" such as Google Chrome, Google Toolbar, McAfee/Symantec scanners, ASK toolbar &etc.   Users have to be very careful running these installers, especially to UNcheck any PRE-checked boxes for programs they don't want to include.

Fortunately, in CCleaner's case, they also offer a SLIM version on their Builds Page, which does NOT include any bundled software http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

45 Posts

I ticked the box enable detection for potentially unsafe applications in ESET NOD32.  I usually kept it at unwanted or suspicious applications.  I am very careful on running installers, because of extra software they have set up to install with the original software you checked.  I have been using CCleaner for many years.  I do not use all of the features.  Mainly I use it for cookies only.  I clean the cookies, but the cookies I need, are not deleted.  Thank you for the link to the slim build.  I will check that out. 

45 Posts

Thank you!  When I tried to find it, it didn't show.  ESET NOD32 said my machine was clean.  But then I clicked check potentially unsafe applications, that is when it was found the first time, last night.  I scanned it also with Malwarebytes, and it did not show a virus, or problem.  So, I had ESET scanner on pause, trying to find what this was.  I was afraid it was a false positive, so I hit pause, until I could find more.  I could not find anything more on here, I guess I didn't hit just the right search.  Finally last night, I just let ESET clean the file.  ESET also has a problem with the CCleaner.exe file, but if you scan it without that box ticked, it does not show a problem.  It also does not like PhotoScape.  I downloaded another CCleaner file and it said it was clean.  I am going to check that box again, for unsafe applications today, and see what it does.  It wants to clean, or delete.  If I just typed in hstart.exe in windows explorer, nothing comes up.  (this was as soon as I saw the scan in progress, and it was marked a threat.  Thank you again for these links.  I guess there is a vulnerability with this in Backup and Recovery. 

20.5K Posts

January 14th, 2014 08:00

But then I clicked check potentially unsafe applications, that is when it was found the first time, last night. 

Perhaps it was the file name that ESET was flagging. It is up to the user to make a decision at that point. Considering that the file was installed as a component of a Dell application, I wouldn't be concerned.

What is a potentially unwanted application?
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2629

No Events found!