Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2013 18:00

how do I post a question, to get an answer?

I tried but I think I did it wrong. please help me get help. it is very confusing to use this site. tks

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

September 28th, 2013 23:00

Hi helpd88:

Since you just successfully posted a question, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. If you are registered, signed in, and click the "New Post" blue button in the upper right hand corner, your question will appear, and start a new thread.

Some tips to help maximize the chances of a prompt reply:

1) Make sure the Title is a short summary of your problem. (For example, a Title such as "I need Help!" is not very useful).

2) One should always list the following info in the body of the post:
- The nature of the problem, of course, plus the exact text of any Alerts or Error Messages that appear, if any.
- The operating system used (XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8, etc) plus any service packs installed, if any. (For example, XP/SP3, or Win 7/SP1). You can obtain this info by pressing "Start"> "Run ..." and type in the "Run" box winver, click "OK".
- The model of the PC affected is often helpful to know (eg: Dell Dimension 9200).
- Any changes you made to your your system, or new programs you installed, prior to the problem appearing.
- If your problem is suspected to be related to a malware infection, it helps to know what security programs (ant-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc) you have installed and running in real-time. Also the results of anything detected by security scans you have run, if any.

3) When replying to a response, stay within the same thread by clicking the "Reply" button at the bottom of the respondent's post. Do not start a new thread.

Be aware this forum is staffed mostly by volunteers who are not Dell employees. Be patient. Most questions will usually get a response within a few hours, but occasionally take a bit longer.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

November 29th, 2019 11:00

Not a helpful reply. I can't post a question. It does not give me the option. All I can do is reply to a question.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 29th, 2019 13:00

You click Start a Discussion just like you did to start this one. You have to do it on the "home page" for whichever forum you want to post in.

question.jpg

You shouldn't ask an entirely new/different question when you're on the page with somebody else's thread. You can Reply to that thread with a similar and related question about the same PC model, version of Windows etc. But don't post something that's "off topic" in someone else's thread.

If in doubt, just start a new Discussion in the appropriate forum, and be sure to include the exact PC model, version of Windows and details about the question/problem.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

November 30th, 2019 10:00

You asked a question and two people gave you their answers. Do the same process if you have a technical or spyware question.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 30th, 2019 17:00

Whatever12345678 managed to start a new thread but it required lots of moderation.

There are several responses to the OP, but nothing further from this user...

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

November 30th, 2019 17:00

I'm not surprised when a respondent finds info I posted 6 years ago "not helpful". The forum layout has changed since then, and Ron's advice on starting a thread is current and correct.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 1st, 2019 18:00

Wow! That thread is very instructional on how not to post a question: - Rant with little or no info. - Foul language deleted. - Claims of experience based of most recent use of an XP system (3 or 4 generations old). - Lack of response or gratitude to valid responses given.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

July 3rd, 2020 20:00

JCosta2020

You have posted in a 7 year old thread, in a forum that is not dedicated to customer complaints, but to Virus and Spyware problems. Expect no answers here.

No Events found!