Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2009 13:00

need some help

in the past i had 3 HP laptops, and the last one i bought wasn't barely a yr and some months ago. I purchased the Norton virus to protect my pc but some how a trojan slipped thu and norton won't remove it, it requested that the trojan be removed mannually. i tried but wasn't successful.

so i bought a Dell Inspiron model i15-156b. so far I love it! I am so glad i changed from HP to Dell.  What a difference!! what i need help with is I want to know as much as i can about the right way to protect my pc. It came with a 30 day trial of Trend Micro internet security. But I got a software called webroot spy sweeper with antivirus at best buy and i told them what had happen with the Norton so they recommended the Webroot and said it is a great internet virus protection and uses less memory than Norton does,

I was just wondering if its true that its a good software for protection and my other question is when I install the Webroot, do I need to make sure that the Trend micro is uninstalled before installing the Webroot. also I read some where that you should only use one internet security VP software on your pc for it to work it's best and not a combination of different brands of protection is that true?

I appreciate any help that i can get

20.5K Posts

May 24th, 2009 14:00

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Dell. Yes, you should remove Trend Micro before installing another anti-virus.  I'm not sure which trial version of TMIS you have, though.

Here are some links that may help, depending on which version is installed:

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/6/How-do-I-uninstall-Trend-Micro-PC-cillin-Internet-Security-14-for-Dell.aspx

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/4/How-do-I-remove-Trend-Micro-Internet-Security-Pro-and-Trend-Micro-Inte.aspx

I read some where that you should only use one internet security VP software on your pc for it to work it's best and not a combination of different brands of protection is that true?
Actually, if you are using anti-virus and anti-spyware from same company all you get are the malware definitions from that one company.  If you are using anti-virus from one vendor and anti-spyware from another you can have the best of both worlds.

Webroot is okay, but remember that there is no security that will protect you as well as the person sitting in the chair behind the computer. It's how you surf and where you surf to, and NO P2P (file sharing).  We do see infected systems that are using Webroot, but we see all others as well. You might want to read some reviews. I like this one: http://www.av-comparatives.org/  They test independently and without advance knowledge. Included in those tests is newly discovered malware as well as the WildList which is already known to the vendors. I don't see that Webroot was tested, though.

ky331 is away on vacation, but if you search this forum you will see that he and joe53 as well as a few other regulars here have some good suggestions on security programs and reviews.  Basically, I use Avast (Free),  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Paid version, but there is also a free version without auto updating and realtime scanning), and WinPatrol (Paid, but there is a free version available). All three are from different vendors, and seem to do well together.

If you want to try the free software, please see these pages:

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE  

May 24th, 2009 15:00

Thank You so much for very promptly helping me and all this information you've provided me with!

I'm enjoying my Dell so much! I wish i had made the switch sooner!

20.5K Posts

May 24th, 2009 17:00

You're welcome. :emotion-1: 

June 13th, 2009 14:00

I've got another question I need some help from, you guys are great!

I have an external hard drive and the files on it are from Media Player Classic K-lite codec pack. Does anyone know a link that is safe where I can get the K-lite codec pack ?

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 13th, 2009 19:00

June 18th, 2009 21:00

Hey. I'd really like to thank you again for your input and advice! I actually tried the Malwarebytes on my old pc that was having problems and i was amazed that it very quickly found the adware and removed it! I haven't used my Dell lately because my Trend Micro trial period expired and i have the links you gave me to uninstall the Trend Micro so i can install the Webroot I bought. 

I just had another question for you about this reply you wrote me:

Actually, if you are using anti-virus and anti-spyware from same company all you get are the malware definitions from that one company.  If you are using anti-virus from one vendor and anti-spyware from another you can have the best of both worlds.

That makes sense. But since the Webroot I bought is virus and spyware protection. can i install that and still use like the Malwarebytes? I was just curious to how you can combine them all like that and make sure that they are all working. i've only used the Norton VP in the past but am very disappointed with them! they don't seem to be as good as they once were. I got a trojan with Norton and adware! so I just want to make sure and protect my pc the best way i can. and i am going to take your advice about the file sharing!

thank you for all your sound advice!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 18th, 2009 22:00

If you are using thre free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, it is an on-demand scanner (does not run in real-time) and will not conflict with your Webroot AV/AS.

It is running 2 or more AVs in real-time that can cause conflicts, and probably the same can be said for 2 or more anti-spyware programs. But one can run as many on- demand scanners as you wish (although not at the same time!)

June 18th, 2009 23:00

Thank you so much! that really did clarify what i was asking. so its when you run 2 or more in real time that can cause the conflict. ok So the free version of Malwarebytes should be fine with the Webroot.

i really do appreciate you helping! this forum is great!

June 18th, 2009 23:00

thanks, i tried that site but wasn't able to find the right K-lite codec to work with my Media Player Classic:emotion-6: but i appreciate your help!

June 21st, 2009 12:00

Hello:emotion-1:

I had another quick question.

since my pc runs with the windows vista and windows has the 'windows defender' and 'windows firewall', do those run in real-time?  thanks for all the help!

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 21st, 2009 13:00

Yes, both run in real-time, if enabled.

Open Windows Defender, click on Tools, then Options, scroll down and make sure that the box next to "Use real-time protection"
is checked. If not, check it, then click the "Save" button.

I dont use Vista, but I imagine there is a Windows Firewall icon in your Control Panel that will tell you if it is on.

June 25th, 2009 10:00

Thank you Joe53 for all your help.

now will using the Windows Defender & Firewall in "real-time" interfere with my Webroot? i thought only one should be used in "real-time"? again thank you so much for all your advice! all my previous pc's were always HP & I finally made the switch to Dell & I LOVE IT! so i am trying to not make any mistakes in protecting it.

20.5K Posts

June 25th, 2009 10:00

Just my opinion, but I would not run Webroot SS and WD both in realtime. It might be better to run SS as an on-demand scanner when needed.

Regarding K-lite, I hope you are not planning on doing any P2P file sharing.  Perils of P2P File Sharing

June 25th, 2009 13:00

thanks Bugbatter!

So you think the Windows Defender is better VP to run in 'real-time' then the Webroot?

regarding K-lite....No, I am not planning on doing ANY P2P file sharing. I have an external hard drive that i stored my own media files on and they play in the Media Player Classic. I am going to take your advice on not doing any p2p file sharing.

June 25th, 2009 14:00

wow i would have never guessed that Windows Defender is better then Webroot or other paid for VP security! I know that i am very disappointed in Norton! it costs too much and hasn't been reliable on my pc's lately. being that i don't have XP do you think it wil work equally as well on Vista? you use a combination of two other malware products as well right? I have used the malwarebytes and it works great!

thanks for all the very imformative information you help me with!

No Events found!