boyle.erica
1 Copper

"Error loading C:/WINDOWS/system32/gifedusa.dll"

Every time I start up my computer a screen pops up with the title RUNDLL, which states "Error loading C:/WINDOWS/system32/gifedusa.dll  This specified module can not be found".  I can click ok and everything works fine, however I currently renewed my virus protection (Mcafee) but it will not install on my computer.  We talked to Mcafee technical support.  We were on the phone for a hour and a half being instructed to uninstall internet explorer 8, then install internet explorer 7, then reinstall internet explorer 8.  We went through a whole process of running all these programs. 

We still do not have virus protection because it will not install on our computer (It won't get past the compatibiliy checker).  It gets to a certain point in downloading and starts all over again.  I'm not sure if this Error message has anything to do with the Virus Protection.

If someone could help me figure out how the fix the Error Message as well as tell me what needs to be done to install my virus protection that would be great!!!!!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Gold

Re: "Error loading C:/WINDOWS/system32/gifedusa.dll"

So McAfee seems to think it's an IE8 issue? Interesting...

Our Malware Removal Forum here is understaffed at the moment because of vacations, etc..

I suggest that you do the following:

Do not do any general online surfing without security. However, it would be good if you could go to one security site where you can get help.

I suggest posting a HijackThis log at SpywareHammer.There are instructions HERE for posting at SpywareHammer. The site has many Microsoft MVP's on staff and helpers there may be able to assist you sooner than we can here. Please describe your symptoms as you have above.

Additional forums that offer malware removal can be found at this link in the recommended sites section on the left side of this page: http://hjt-data.trendmicro.com/hjt/analyzethis/index.php

Please post at only ONE so you do not tie up two or more helpers working on the same issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Windows Insider MVP 2016 - Present

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos