Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2013 22:00

re:adware

My dell computer-a dimension 4300 with window xp for operating system- is infected with an adware called PriceGong and no matter how many times I trie to delete it from the system it keeps popping every time I go to the  internet explorer. I used both microsoft essential security scanner and malawerabyte in both normal and safe mode to remove it and allthough it was removed from the system temporarely it still comes back every time I connect to the internet. I went into the add/remove program feature to see if I could uninstall it from there but I dont see any program called PriceGong; however in the run space I typed %programfiles% and I did find a folder named PriceGong which I deleted. I also typed in the same space %appdata% and I found one there too which again I deleted; The strange thing is that in the program files the folder has disappeared for good after I deleted it but in the appdata files it keeps reappering over and over again..! 

Is there another way to wipe this pest off the system once and for all?  I would appreciate your comments,

Frank.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 4th, 2013 23:00

Hi Frank:

You have obviously researched this. I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Download and install the free standalone utility AdwCleaner Version:2.109 from here:
- http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/viewdownload/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

AdwCleaner Usage Instructions:
Using AdwCleaner is very simple. Simply download the program and run it.  You will then be presented with a screen that contains a Search and Delete button.  The Search button will cause AdwCleaner to search your computer for unwanted programs and then display a log showing the various files, folders, and registry entries used by these programs.

To delete these unwanted programs simply click on the Delete button, which will cause AdwCleaner to reboot your computer and remove the files and registry entries associated with the various adware that you are removing.  On reboot, AdwCleaner will display a log showing the files, folders, and registry entries that were removed.

Notes: I have used this utility, and while I cannot say it has detected anything more than remnants and traces of adware on my XP system, I can say that it comes well recommended, and appears to have done no harm. Whether it will work for your problem, I cannot say.

2) If the above does not work, it might well represent some more serious infection. I would suggest you register at spywarehammer.com here:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=12262.0
Follow the instructions and post your problem and logs requested.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

11 Posts

February 5th, 2013 21:00

I used the software "adwcleaner version:2.109" that you refered to me in your post and I have to tell you in all honesty that it go read of lots of garbage inside my pc. This cleaner works exactly as you said, in fact since I used it I haven't seen that pesty adware since and my computer works a lot smoother as old as it is. I want you to know that your extensive knolwedge in the subject has been very useful to me and I thank you for that. Frank.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 6th, 2013 06:00

Glad that worked for you, Frank.

Thanks for the feed-back.

No Events found!