Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2008 12:00

superantispyware - too buggy

G' Day everyone..

By any chance would anyone know of a registry edit solution or some other solution to get rid of the very annoying Superantispyware splashscreen ?  This annoyance is botching up my startup at every single boot. I've just about had it up to my ears with this piece of buggy antispyware software but thought I'd ask here before I get rid of the program entirely.

Message Edited by GimmeShelter on 06-26-2008 02:38 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 24th, 2008 12:00

the FREE version (4.15.1000 ; as well as its immediate predecessor 4.1.1046)

now allows the user to turn off the splash screen

PREFERENCES

Start-up Options

UNcheck the box "Show Splash Screen on Startup"

----------------------------------------------------

Moreover, since the free edition does NOT offer you realtime protection, there's no reason to have the program even auto-boot upon system startup --- you can UNcheck "Start SAS when windows starts".   then, you can just click on your SAS program icon whenever you actually want it to run a scan

Message Edited by ky331 on 06-24-2008 10:00 AM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 24th, 2008 14:00

as the saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

yes, SAS can be disabled from auto startup via MSConfig... or by WinPatrol... or by just about any StartUp-manager program.

however, when there's a simple/obvious box to uncheck within the program itself, that's often the "cleanest" way to proceed.

as for the original matter of disabling the Splash screen [be it on auto-boot, or upon manual loading/scanning], that's optimally done by unchecking the option, as indicated above. 

414 Posts

June 24th, 2008 14:00

I turned mine off through Start-Run-msconfig-startup tab-uncheck superantispyware.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 26th, 2008 18:00

let me point out something else i believe you'll appreciate....

have you ever looked into WinPatrol?

www.winpatrol.com

among other things, winpatrol is a Startup Manager.   You can use it, similar to MSConfig (if you're familiar with that) to allow or deny various programs from auto-starting every time you boot up your system.

but winpatrol also offers a DELAYED START feature:   you can tell it to "hold off" --- for a specified time period --- before a particular program gets to load.   so if you ever find two programs that are "fighting" for startup priority [and conflicting/crashing], you can set one for a delayed start... allowing enough time for the first one to finish its job before the second one kicks in....

81 Posts

June 26th, 2008 18:00

Hello friends...  Sorry for this late reply; been a bit under the weather here...

I feel stupid now; I didn't know the splashscreen could be turned off like that in a new build.  I deleted the program two days ago, lol...   bit I'll reinstall it now and configure it appropriately.

I also edited my original post above as I bad-mouthed S.A.S. a bit too much, I think...  It was bugging me so much because my Canon scanner would turn on at exactly the same time at boot-up and it would sometimes "hang" there...  So I think I blew off some steam against S.A.S.; my apologies to them for that..

Something tells me though that were probably a few others annoyed by that darn thing too...:smileyvery-happy:

Oh well, we can all rejoice !!

Thanks guys so much for your replies; much appreciated here my friends...:smileyhappy:

81 Posts

June 28th, 2008 19:00

Thank you for that info...  I'll look into Winpatrol and see what it's about. I do remember reading a few good comments about it, I believe here on this forum too.

I did download and install the newer build of Superantispyware, and by golly... I am not bothered by that nagging splashscreen any more!!! And now my Canon scanner starts up without any conflict by that splashscreen.

Glad to see the owner(s) of S.A.S. allowing one to stop that splashscreen; maybe heard of the many negative comments about it.

Thanks again for that info; those pugs are sooooooo cute !!!!:smileyhappy:

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 28th, 2008 22:00

The pugs (Rascal on the left, Biscuit on the right) and I thank you.
No Events found!