Hi..can anyone help with removing gettin internet pop ups. I made a mistake and downloaded a desktop smiley toolbar and since then i have been gettin problems with my pc. I uninstalled the toolbar and installed AdAware and scanned and had several infections. After removing the infections, I am still having the same problem. It is as though there is a program runnin in the background. Please advise. Thanks.
Try scans with these two programs in the following order:
Please disable other security software that may cause conflicts with the scans.
Instructions on how to do that are HERE.
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "catchjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "catchjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.
Download and scan with Super Anti-Spyware Free for Home Users. It is available HERE:
*Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
If that does not fix the problem, it might be good to post a log for review on the Malware Removal Forum.
Be sure to read instructions at the top of the forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2016 -
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016
Social Media and Community Professional
I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.