Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2009 14:00

windows defender

anybody know why  windows defender keeps shutting itself off?I have VISTA running and its a very new PC-dell studio

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 17th, 2009 16:00

Hi ginmar22, and welcome:

If you have either Windows OneCare or a version of Norton's/McAfee security suite, they will shut off Defender due to some conflict.

If you have OneCare, you don't need Defender, and can disable it using these instructions:
http://www.support4vista.com/faq/defender-shuts-down.htm

1 Message

April 29th, 2009 22:00

Hi Joe53,

I have McAfee and this message keeps popping up " Application failed to initialize...a problem caused this programs service to stop...restart your computer or go to Help and Support to start  a service manually". But when I try to do this it shows me the same error.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance or the help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2009 16:00

Hi skunkanansie and welcome to DCF,

"The 2009 McAfee consumer products for Windows Vista disable Microsoft Windows Defender to improve system performance. Windows Vista users who have installed the 2009 McAfee consumer products should not enable Windows Defender."

Please read this article HERE from McAfee.

:emotion-1:

1 Message

May 15th, 2009 01:00

thank you so much for the helpful reply! i uninstalled my mcafee and turned my windows defender off, reinstalled mcafee and no more problems!!!! omg i thought i had totally wrecked my new laptop!!

3 Posts

August 16th, 2009 19:00

i also thought that my new laptop got problem when the windows defender problems arise. if windows defender is not compatible with mcafee, then why dell still offers mcafee? why not other antivirus to be installed in dell?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 17th, 2009 00:00

Hi Fuji_aozu, and welcome to the forum:

Dell, like most PC vendors, offers various AV and security products (McAfee, Symantec, and others) pre-installed with their systems because of financial considerations. And McAfee obviously believes their security suite conflicts with Windows Defender, replaces the need for WD, and therefore disables it (probably correctly).

As the distinction between viruses, malware, trojans, and spyware etc becomes increasingly blurred, and as some AV and security suite vendors believe their product covers the gamut, I suspect we will see more of this in the future, particularly with security suites like yours which attempt to be a complete solution against all threats (a proposition I philosophically disagree with).

You are under no obligation to purchase any security product that comes pre-installed on a new computer (typically for a limited time trial). I have nothing against McAfee, not having used it in many years, but I prefer to have Windows Defender running because of its huge database and compatability with my Windows Operating system. I have no idea if my choice is "better" than McAfee's Suite but it works for me.

Of course I had to find an AV that didn't object to running with Windows Defender. There are lots out there, both free and paid.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

August 17th, 2009 08:00

I think you will find, like I did, that very good system security can be had by using free stand alone products, like those that have been recommened here. :emotion-5:

3 Posts

August 18th, 2009 00:00

i read up in a forum somewhere where one person came up with a way to solve the windows defender and mcafee problem. it works for me. i think both mcafee and windows defender work at the same time.

by spotted 1

Defender successfully fixed - against McAfee.

Pathway to Success - follow these prompts for Vista!!!!!

go to Control panel-then Administration Tools - Computer Managerment - Service Application - Services - find windows defender in Services you will notice it will be blank or disabled - now you have to high light windows defender, double click and then select automatic, click on the word Start - apply changes and re boot your computer - and we know this works because it took us 4 HOURS to complete and ours works fantastic - good luck !!!!

This should also work with XP -

No Events found!