Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2019 06:00

Dell Precission 1500 bios update

Hi i have a dell Precision T1500 with a BIOS update problem running WIn10 (64bit) I cannot update the bios on this T1500, I have downloaded 2.40 (syeo-240), the updater looks like it does the update, but after reboot, I'm still sitting with v2.03. I have tried to do it via Dos using a bootable usb key which starts the update then fails - Error 8716 : Invalid Usage Can Any body help?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

March 25th, 2019 06:00

The bios update might not apply to your configuration. This is a 9 yr model and the bios you are trying to install is 7 years old. You should not force a bios update. You could brick your old computer. Windows 10 is not recommended for your model. There are no drivers available for Windows 10. Reinstall your original OS.

March 25th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for the reply why is windows 10 not recommended? So i should revert back to Windows vista  as that what the original os was.  I'll do that now

thank you

March 25th, 2019 08:00

Just wiped the HDD and formatted it, just going through the install of vista now, its very nostalgic! Just hope it runs ok as win10 was really fast but don't want to brick it as i need it for work. I'll let you know how it goes

590 Posts

March 25th, 2019 11:00

Apparently BIOS 2.4.0 doesn't update within Windows 10 or 8.  Nor does it work with FreeDOS.  However, seems it does work under Windows 7.  See here for details.  I suspect it might also work under Vista or with actual MS-DOS.

Vista is way beyond being supported by Microsoft - meaning it's not getting any updates, security or otherwise.

Users have reported Windows 10 working fine on the Precision T1500, although Dell never explicitly supported it.  It will use generic drivers unless you explicitly load older ones specific to the hardware.  Unless there's an issue, I'd probably stick with the default Windows 10 drivers.  Microsoft might break Windows 10 on the T1500 with a future update, but at least you're getting updates and should be able to use other software supported on Windows 10.

I'd probably run Vista or Windows 7 just to do the BIOS update and then go back to Windows 10.

March 25th, 2019 12:00

thanks do the actual bios updates really matter as a lot of people don't bother as if it aint broke don't fix it type of situation

590 Posts

March 25th, 2019 14:00

Since a failed BIOS update can brick a machine, I generally do it only when I need to.  Meaning, I need a fix or feature in the BIOS update. 

Sometimes I will also update the BIOS if I feel I'm "too far behind" in BIOS updates or the machine is at end-of-support and I'll apply what appears to be its last BIOS update so that I'm done. 

It can depend, though, on how comfortable I am doing BIOS updates on a specific machine.  If I've done the BIOS updates before on the machine or someone has a how-to or video doing that specific update, I'm more likely to apply a BIOS update.

It's hard to tell the specifics of the 2.4.0 update given the description, but if upgrading to a newer CPU you might need the "Update CPU microcode" in 2.4.0 which may be to support newer processors - then again, it might not be for that.

March 26th, 2019 00:00

Thanks I looked at what the updates were but doesn't give an explanation to really say what there for, I have upgraded my CPU from a i3 to an 17 860 and it works great so i may just leave the bios alone and i installed vista but its far to way behind for my liking so i have reinstalled win10 as it worked and has what i need

December 9th, 2019 10:00

Good!

Vista is out-dated and vulnerable. I am glad you are on Windows 10!

12 Posts

April 5th, 2021 12:00

I too had the problem with bios 2.4 not "installing".  My t1500 works beautifully on Win 10 20H2, no driver issues even with a new GPU.  Now if only I can figure out how to get PCIe cards for USB 3 and SATA iii controller, no room with the GPU fan right next to PCIe x1 slot, plus only legacy PCI slots open.  Ehh works fine on SATA ii, usb is slow so if I need to transfer/backup I just use ethernet to faster devices.  Thanks for everyone's input!

1 Message

April 18th, 2021 21:00

Hi,

How did the GPU upgrade go with Windows 10 on the T1500? I have a older Quadro 570 I want to replace with  a newer Radeon 7850 video card. I tried with a HD 4650 first but got black screen and error beeps. Did you need to go into bios first, then insert card and reboot?

No Events found!