Start a Conversation

Unsolved

RI

27 Posts

December 17th, 2018 02:00

McAfee security s/w on Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC

Hi, I had bought the Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC earlier this year and it came with McAfee security s/w with a 15-month subscription. When I registered the same on their website, it just showed it as "McAfee Multi-Device" with license for 3 PCs (and unlimited smartphones). I only have it on the PC, for now. But, have noticed that that the icon on the taskbar shows it as "McAfee Antivirus" and it also seems to have limited features in the McAfee console. Does this mean this is merely an antivirus product, and that I need to buy a total security product (say, Bitdefender / Kaspersky / Norton Security, etc.) to secure my PC fully ? I have also seen plenty of McAfee processes in the Task Manager, and it seems to slow down the PC. Seek suggestions / advise from experienced folks, esp. those with similar PC and McAfee product installed, on whether I need to replace this McAfee product with a Total Security one, as mentioned above. Thanks !

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 17th, 2018 03:00

I uninstall McAfee on new PC's and only use the Win 10 build in Windows Defender.   But, its personal preference on what you use for security. 

I also have (paid version) Malwarebytes.

December 21st, 2018 03:00

@fireberd - Ok. But, I don't have support from Malwarebytes in my region, and I prefer installing a complete security suite, which will take care of almost all aspects of a PC's security, like a strong firewall, anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-malware & ransomware, etc. Read on several sites that BitDefender Internet / Total Security, Kaspersky Internet / Total Security, and Norton Security Deluxe / Premium are among the best, so want to consider one of these which have low resource need and have good protection record. The ratings change depending on which sites I visit for their reviews hence it's confusing :-)

@fireberd- Yes, you are right. It's indeed personal preference and in my case it's due to following factors -

1. Total protection , i.e. with firewall, anti-virus, spam, malware, ransomware, etc. running on auto-pilot

2. Low system resources so PC doesn't get weighed down by sec s/w

3. Support - preferably over phone (only BitDefender & Kaspersky available in my region)

4. Price

So, consider all factors, it seems BitDefender Total Security is the best one for my needs.

Strange that my PC has Windows Defender AND McAfee AntiVirus products preinstalled - both doing the same things, almost. Wouldn't have bothered if it were McAfee Total Protection which offers more / better features, found in most IS / TS suites.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Its still individual preference.  Kaspersky is not recommended in the US as its Russian based.

I've seen several sites that grade Antivirus programs.  One may be at or near the top on one site and on a different site another program is rated best.  Even the Windows Defender is rated very good on some sites.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 21st, 2018 05:00

Defender is part of Windows.  But, when another AV program is installed and used the Defender is deactivated.  Both are not running at the same time.

December 22nd, 2018 02:00

Well, that's what I too assumed, but with Win Def & McAfee A/v seems it's different. Some 7 of 10 services of McAfee are 'running' as seen in Mgmt Console, and strangely though there's a McAfee Firewall service it's not running. Instead, WD's managing Firewall and though WD's anti-virus service is not running. In the past whenever I have used an Internet Security / Total Security suite, it handles all aspects of PC's security, incl Firewall, but not in this case, as it seems.
No Events found!