Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2022 03:00

OS reinstall

I've got a brand new Vostro 3681, and well, was not surprised that the system was full of preinstalled Dell apps I don't need (sorry Dell). I want to perform a clean W11 install, but I vaguely remember that years ago (Vista days IIRC) Dell OEM keys (or was it the other big company with a name starting on "H"?) could only activate certain OEM ISOs, not default retail ones. So I want to be sure, will I be able to activate it? RN my OS is activated with digital license, i have retrieved the OEM key just in case.

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2022 10:00

If your new pc already has Win 11 pro installed by Dell factory, then the MS server media creation tool would bypass the option of asking you which version to choose. It would go straight to the installation steps. It will use the same key.

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2022 08:00

if you have dell oem win 10 home the key would not activate Win 11 pro. You could modify clean install media to ignore dell key in bios then choose “I do not have key” at beginning of clean install. Community had discussion how to do it.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2022 09:00

Well of course, that I know, perhaps I should've specified that I do have Win11 Pro preinstalled, and of course I'd like to install the same version. All I'm asking is: can I use ISO downloaded straight from MS servers, or do I need some specific Dell version in order for the key to work? 

No Events found!