Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

February 14th, 2019 12:00

Vostro 230, solid amber power button LED

My Vostro suddenly shut down and wouldn't power up. I removed the monitor, printer and unplugged the power cord. Waited 15 minutes and plugged it back in, tried to power it on and only got a solid amber light. The unit did updates 2 days ago so I was wondering if that had anything to do with the crash. I took the cover off of it and blew the dust out and everything looked alright. Any suggestions on getting it to turn on would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 14th, 2019 12:00

It could very possibly be the motherboard and on a system of that age, it would not be unthinkable. Try this though as it worked for another user. Remove the CMOS battery and then hold down the power switch for 30 seconds. While you have the battery out it may be a good time to replace it. Leave the battery out for 15 minutes before inserting the new battery. Page 7 of the Vostro 230 Service Manual =

Capture.JPG

192 Posts

February 14th, 2019 13:00

Have one on my bench now with same symptom. PSU. Replaced and working.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2019 09:00

After trying several things to get the unit to power on, I opened it up and removed the front bezel, but before I could do that I had to remove a jump drive that I had in one of the front usb ports. I checked the battery and it was still at full power, so I put it back together, connected the power cord and it turned on! Apparently the jump drive was the problem. It's been working fine for 3 weeks now. Of course I ordered a new Inspiron unit before it started working.

No Events found!