Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

January 17th, 2019 13:00

Vostro 260, GTX 1080 not working

Hi, I was wanting to test my GTX 1080 in my dell desktop. However, it is not detected whatsoever, only the RGB works, who's power is supplied purely by the Mobo. I have read that the Asus strix gtx 1080 will only run on UEFI bios, and not the Legacy I am running. It is not a PSU issue, ive tried 3 working psus. Also, is it something to do with the pcie slot not allowing 8+6 pin gpus to work, my 6 pin gtx 1060 works. It's as if the GPU isnt there when i boot, it boots straight into integrated graphics, no beeps or pauses. Could it be motherboard compatibility etc. The only thing changed about the system is a gtx 1080 supported psu. Many Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 18th, 2019 05:00

Your processor will get into a bottleneck even if you have changed the PSU. GTX 660 is one of the cards that has been unofficially tested with this model which worked fine.

January 18th, 2019 09:00

@SreejithR wrote:

Your processor will get into a bottleneck even if you have changed the PSU. GTX 660 is one of the cards that has been unofficially tested with this model which worked fine.

I am not going to use the gtx 1080 permanently, It's just to see if the gpu is operational. But I don't know if the computer even supports it

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 18th, 2019 10:00

It should work, irrespective of the BIOS. The PCIe pins should be a match though.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 15th, 2019 10:00

The stock power supply is too small for a 1080.

There are ugly ways to get it working using an additional 500w or larger unit in parallel to the system power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9b0TkTsLM

Secure boot must be OFF and Legacy option roms ON before any video will show.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/~/when-installing-an-after-market-graphics-card-into-a-certified-windows-8-pc

No Events found!