Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: BIOS Update wont work Dell g7 7588

Hi geraldoandradee,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you've followed the above steps and you still aren't able to install the update, then please run a systems diagnostics.  Run Dell SupportAssist make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it may indicate a software or driver issue.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
mntxca
1 Nickel

I had the same problem earlier, but there is a solution. Download the BIOS from the dell website and put it on a flash drive. From the flash drive, click on the bios and run it while windows is still on (do not turn off computer). When this happens, the bios will attempt to update but never really shows any signs of it other than creating a folder on a flash drive that has a text file called log. Open this text file and see where a file is trying to be executed, and go to the location of that file. Extract that file (it should still be compressed) and then try clicking on the bios and running it from the flash drive again. Now, a pop up with broken graphics emerges and asks if you if you want to update. Say yes, and then it works. Don't get scared of the broken graphics on the pop-up, the update worked for me. The only weird thing is that the laptop dell update programs still think the bios hasn't updated, except everything else can see that the bios has now updated to 1.9.0.

Please reply if my method worked or not for you all.

0 Kudos
Totn_1
1 Copper

Hello, I had the exact same problem on a G5 5587, which shares the same BIOS files with the G7. The problem is resolved by flashing from Windows, too bad that I wanted to have a linux-only computer. Lucky me I tried to upgrade the BIOS before removing the preinstalled Windows. That is, the problem only affects the BIOS flashing procedure from the BIOS itself (F12 boot menu at POST, then menu entry "BIOS Flash Update": it doesn't work), while doubleclicking on the .exe file of the BIOS from within Windows, works. It seems to me that it is a filesize problem: BIOS versions up to 1.6.1 have filesizes of 7 MB BIOS versions 1.8.0 and 1.9.0 have filesizes of 13 MB Bios 1.6.1 is capable of flashing itself but fails immediately if it is given version 1.8.0 or 1.9.0 which are bigger. Once you are able to upgrade to 1.9.0 leveraging Windows, such version 1.9.0 is again capable of flashing itself (without Windows). I would bet 1.8.0 is probably capable of flashing 1.9.0 and vice versa but I have not tried. So Dell should provide an intermediate BIOS version 1.6.2 or 1.7.0 with filesize 7 MB but capable of flashing a BIOS of larger size. Unfortunately, for Windows a LiveCD does not exist, and it's not free of charge either, so not providing a working BIOS-based flasher is a significant problem that Dell should address. Alternatively they could create a Linux-based flasher which can work from a LiveCD.
0 Kudos