Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

June 2nd, 2023 23:00

Debian and upgradeability SSD and RAM(Vostro3520)

Hello, I want to buy a laptop Vostro 3520 but the problem is that I want to install as the main operating system Debian, and whether there will be any problems with it. I would also like to know if there is an upgrade option for this laptop SSD and RAM

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 3rd, 2023 08:00

ejn63 correctly linked to Dell's support pages, which you should read.

Your laptop can be upgraded to 64 GB of RAM. You can replace your drive with a 4 TB drive, but the type depends upon what you have now, so you need to check that. You can see in Dell's specifications that this model was sold with various storage options that affect your upgrade path.

Here is Crucial RAM guaranteed compatible and drive options.

As for Debian, you can try it. This is a relatively new laptop, and Debian may lack drivers for full support. And, if you ever need Dell warranty support, they may require you to install the original OS, so it would be worthwhile to use a tool like Acronis or Macrium to take a full image backup of the system before you switch to Debian.

Whenever touching components or working inside a computer, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. It's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard. (Repeatedly touching a metal case part is not sufficient mitigation with modern components.)

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

June 3rd, 2023 03:00

The system documentation details the storage and memory options.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/vostro-15-3520-laptop/docs

As for Debian, you should contact that Linux community to assess compatibility;  this is not an OS Dell supports.

No Events found!