Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

6 Posts

October 6th, 2019 08:00

Dell vostro 5490 making static noise when plugged in

I have my laptop now for 4 days and just noticed that when my laptop is charging/plugged in, it makes a weird scrambling, static noise. If i remove the plug, the noise stops. The noise gets louder when i move my mouse or use the touchpad.

The noise stops when i remove the plug.

I tried:

1. update my bios
  2. update sound drivers
  3. found the High performance mode by editting the 'CsEnabled' value from '1' to '0'.
  4. update every update that was available on the dell/support website for my laptop

If someone has the same problem or a solution, please let me know! I will contact support monday and find out what they can do for me.

• 

25K Posts

January 19th, 2020 18:00

Hello Michael,

I would require some more information from you. Please follow the below steps and private message us the below details so that we can forward this further and advise you accordingly further.

1. Please download the collect_log.cmd file from https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnquJC78YNAZiiJ-5qa2uab1AU4G?e=NH619s

2. Run the collect_log.cmd file and specify a file name as logs.txt and press enter so that all the necessary system logs can be collected.

3. Once all the logs are collected by the cmd file and saved on desktop for you. Please send it to us via private message.

4. Please collect HWInfo sensor logs specifically when the noise is heard. The steps on how to collect the logs can be found online at https://dell.to/368oRrq. 

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

5 Posts

January 20th, 2020 10:00

I agree @gleva86, if that may be the source for the problem then they should add this important step to the service request.

The fun part is having to go through all the previous steps again even though nothing that was suggested made any difference before.

I'm still waiting on their feedback after I sent some extra information they requested.

• 

25K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 09:00

Hi RafaelD, our product group team has confirmed there will be some electrical noise from the system & the noise level is within the spec. Kindly try to delete the IDPTF driver from Device manager (delete driver) & update from the Support site followed by a BIOS update again. Check if that helps.^PC

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 09:00

Nice all google.com 

January 24th, 2020 02:00

Hi Muntazir

I've sent these files through now. Your feedback would be great.

Thanks

Michael

2 Posts

January 28th, 2020 11:00

Hello,

I have the same issue with this sizzling noise. It irritates me. Please help to solve the issue!

• 

25K Posts

January 28th, 2020 16:00

Hello Michael,

I am following up to keep you informed that our team is still investigating the issue based on the requested information that you provided us. I shall reach out to us as soon as I get further update.

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hi everyone i just bought 5490 a week ago and i am facing the same issue and its annoying, i want to ask you that all of you using the i7 version or the i5? Mine is i7 version if the all of you guys using i7, issue is probably about this models and i will ask about a change to the i5.

February 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hi can1347, i have the i7 one.

@DELL-Caresis there any progress on the solution for this problem?

February 3rd, 2020 10:00

@ everyone

So yesterday i had contact with support and we went on testing and doing things for quite a while. Eventually he aksed me to run a hardware test and check if the noise is heard and if there are any errors. So the test came out good and there was no noise during the test.  After that he asked me "Let's boot the system in safe mode and check if the noise is heard."  To my suprise there was no noise. So he said the following:

"Alright! If the issue is not seen in safe mode, it is most likely a software issue and I would suggest you backup data from the system and perform an operating system reset. Once the reset is completed, do not install any applications. Test the system and see how it goes."

I dont have the time now to do that because of school but i will do this in about 2 weeks when im a week free. If anyone else can do this before that time and tell us if that helped it would only be better.

Let us know if you have any updates!

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 10:00

Thank you for your answer Shagunpreet Singh, i think that just the i7 versions have this problem because if i am not remembering wrong xps 9360 or 9370 i7 models facing an coil whining issue but the i5 version of them was not, probably its the same scenario, also i am waiting for the other people to answer if they are all using i7 like us, i hope that they could solve this with an update.

With my best regards.

February 3rd, 2020 22:00

Hi all, I have an i7 model as well. The sound is still there for me when I boot into Safe Mode, so I highly doubt whether a Windows reinstall would make any difference personally.

No updates from my side, still waiting for a response from Dell from my post a week ago.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2020 05:00

I tried in safe mode but sound was still there, i think as i said before it is probably an hardware issue, people who has this issue all have the same model and hope so its not that but probably this can not be fixed with any software update

2 Posts

February 4th, 2020 09:00

I have the same issue with the sizzling noise. My Vostro 5490 is also with i7 processor. On my side the noise comes somewhere under the middle of the keyboard. Also the noise is still presenting in safe mode and the diagnostics outcome is good.

Regards,

Stanimir

February 5th, 2020 18:00

@Can1347 You're right, this is definitely a case of coil whine, as described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blyswNKEPEY.

The difference for me to the above video is that the noise is persistent and always present. Definitely a hardware issue, and I think this justifies returning the laptop. 

No Events found!