Highlighted

Re: Dell vostro 5490 making static noise when plugged in

Hi can1347, i have the i7 one.

@DELL-Caresis there any progress on the solution for this problem?

Highlighted
1 Copper

Thank you for your answer Shagunpreet Singh, i think that just the i7 versions have this problem because if i am not remembering wrong xps 9360 or 9370 i7 models facing an coil whining issue but the i5 version of them was not, probably its the same scenario, also i am waiting for the other people to answer if they are all using i7 like us, i hope that they could solve this with an update.

With my best regards.

Highlighted

@ everyone

So yesterday i had contact with support and we went on testing and doing things for quite a while. Eventually he aksed me to run a hardware test and check if the noise is heard and if there are any errors. So the test came out good and there was no noise during the test.  After that he asked me "Let's boot the system in safe mode and check if the noise is heard."  To my suprise there was no noise. So he said the following:

"Alright! If the issue is not seen in safe mode, it is most likely a software issue and I would suggest you backup data from the system and perform an operating system reset. Once the reset is completed, do not install any applications. Test the system and see how it goes."

I dont have the time now to do that because of school but i will do this in about 2 weeks when im a week free. If anyone else can do this before that time and tell us if that helped it would only be better.

Let us know if you have any updates!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi all, I have an i7 model as well. The sound is still there for me when I boot into Safe Mode, so I highly doubt whether a Windows reinstall would make any difference personally.

No updates from my side, still waiting for a response from Dell from my post a week ago.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I tried in safe mode but sound was still there, i think as i said before it is probably an hardware issue, people who has this issue all have the same model and hope so its not that but probably this can not be fixed with any software update 😞

Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue with the sizzling noise. My Vostro 5490 is also with i7 processor. On my side the noise comes somewhere under the middle of the keyboard. Also the noise is still presenting in safe mode and the diagnostics outcome is good.

Regards,

Stanimir

Highlighted
1 Copper

@Can1347 You're right, this is definitely a case of coil whine, as described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blyswNKEPEY.

The difference for me to the above video is that the noise is persistent and always present. Definitely a hardware issue, and I think this justifies returning the laptop. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

@michaelmorton yes sir you are right and i also wondering, when the laptop is not plugged voice became incredibly low but never disappears even under the load but when plugged in voice increases, i am searching for almost all the reasons that could be happening but i think this is definitly a coil whine but different one, probably when connected the ac the cpu is increases the voltage or the something that it takes for the performance, and when this happens noise becomes loud, and thats why this is %100 hardware issue for me and can not be fixed right what with a software update.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello again everyone, i just contacted dell support in my country and they gave me a new Vostro 5490 i7 mx250 i mean the same model and the issue still continues. I am not in a position to send it back and take a refund i need a laptop for work, but you should not get the same model for changing get i5 or another model this is probably a chronic problem with i7s 😞

Highlighted
1 Copper

Thanks for the update @Can1347 - sorry to hear the new PC has the same issue for you 😞

This week, Dell also offered to send me a (permanent) replacement system, but I've requested a different system type with a similar or better specification, due to the issue being reported by so many users here with the 5490 (i7/mx250). I'll also report back with how it goes.

(1)