Highlighted
Nekomajin
1 Nickel

Fan speed control

Hi All!

I've bought a Vostro 3568 notebook from a local Dell service center with a few custom upgrades. One of them is moving the HDD into a caddy and install an SSD into the HDD slot.

The problem is with the SSD temperature. It goes up to 60 °C in a few minutes after startup. The system fan seems to mind only the CPU temperature, which can be fine when the HDD is in its place, but not in this case.

I tried to modify the RPM settings with SpeedFan, but it does not work. From other messages on this forum, it seems like Dell has disabled this feature.

As a costumer, I demand to have full control over my system, either by a Dell or a third-party utility. Passive cooling is great, but I want to modify the fan speed steppings according to my judgement, and not rely on a predefined setting.

Thanks!

3 Replies
Nekomajin
1 Nickel

Re: Fan speed control

I am disappointed by how you treat user feedback. Not even a reply. This forum is a piece of **bleep**.

ejn63
4 Ruthenium

The problem is that you're making an unreasonable demand.

If the system is running too hot, remove that third-party caddy and reinstall the optical drive.  If the system then runs too hot, contact Dell for a repair.

0 Kudos
Nekomajin
1 Nickel

It is not an unreasonable demand to get access to the cooling policy. If they won't allow third party applications to tamper with the cooling, it's ok. But they must provide an option for this in the UEFI. I am not alone with this problem, if you take a look around on this forum and anywhere on the internet.

Btw, the caddy was installed by an official, contractual Dell service, who forgot to inform me that I will boil my SSD this way. But the whole problem would not even exist, if Dell did not restrict this option, or the fan speed could be set to multiple steps, not jut zero or maximum rpm.

This is a **bleep**ty solution from Dell.