Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

July 31st, 2019 13:00

Intel RST Blocking Windows Update

Vostro 5568 out of warranty unable to update Windows 10 because of the Intel RST outdated driver. Run support assist multiple times hoping to get a driver from Dell. I know a work around can be to download a driver straight from intel, but I don't want to brick my laptop. I work for a small business so I don't have the luxury of having an IT department... 

The error from windows update "The inbox storage driver iastora.sys doesn't work on these systems and causes stability problems on Windows. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows."

Looking for more information on if this is something Dell is working on distributing via Support Assist and an approximate timeline. I've searched online for a few hours and can't find anything official. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 31st, 2019 14:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @jvilbig 

Windows 10 May 2019 Update (build 1903) fails to install due to an out-of-date Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln318140/windows-10-may-2019-update-build-1903-fails-...

If the W10 update fails after updating the (Intel® RST) driver or if there is no updated driver for your model then you can work through the following steps:

1. Navigate to the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder in Windows Explorer.
  2. Locate the IASTORA.sys file.
  3. Right-click on the file and select Rename to change the filename to IASTORA.old
  4. Run the Windows May 10 2019 Update again.

If needed the latest (Intel® RST) driver can be found here:

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2019 08:00

@jvilbig 

As it was a work in progress the procedures where changed.

What is posted now I do believe was the final revision.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

U2

2 Posts

September 1st, 2019 08:00

Order of operations error. Rebooting before installing the update caused me to have to do a system restore. I’m also not sure why the post changed, because the instructions from the reply I received in my e-mail differs in the order from this post currently. 

Billable hours wasted so far on this issue: 4. 

No Events found!