Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2020 19:00

Keyboard question

Does Dell make a Vostro with a 15.6" monitor, an i7 cpu and a keyboard that does not have a number pad?  I need a laptop with the touch pad centered, not shifted way to the left. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 1st, 2020 20:00

@Arcamm  15” laptops without number pads are relatively rare these days. The only one I know of in Dell’s lineup is the XPS 15 series and its sister systems the Precision 55xx models. But if that’s not the type of system you want, consider that even if you get a laptop with a number pad and therefore a left-shifted touchpad, the touchpad will still be centered relative to where your hands will be placed, since you always center your hands over the letter area of a keyboard, even if the keyboard has a number pad. So the touchpad will still be directly below your hands, just as it always is. Your hands will be left-shifted relative to the center of the overall palmrest, but that usually isn’t an issue. The only exception is if you’re trying to use your laptop on your actual lap, in which case having the weight of your resting palms and keystrokes off-center can make balancing a laptop on your lap a bit more tricky.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 1st, 2020 23:00

@Arcamm  I forgot that there’s also the Latitude 9510. It’s closer to a Vostro in the sense that it’s a directly business-oriented line, but Latitudes are more expensive, and this is the current top-end model of the lineup.

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 08:00

@jphughan Thanks for the info.

It's a situational issue.  This laptop sits on a small table about 4" above the arm rest of a theater chair, so my left elbow rests on the arm rest and my arm is elevated up to the keyboard.  My arm rests on the laptop corner and I can work for hours like this.  With the shifted touch pads, my wrist rests right on the corner and that gets painful after about 10 minutes.  This setup is about 99% of this laptops function, and I need it to be comfortable.  I tried using a M2800 but wound up giving it to my wife and my G3 i5 Vostro is getting a bit long in the tooth.

The irritating thing is, Dell's website is all but worthless as far as showing the features of their laptops!  Only the XPS has a clear picture of the keyboard.  The rest don't and the descriptions are just not there. You have to read between the lines to figure out things like keyboard layout.  Even the chat people can't figure it out.  I spent hours with chat and looking over the webpage and could not figure it out.  Several correct pictures and it would have taken minutes to find what I want. 

But thanks for the information.  This will help me a lot! 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 09:00

@Arcamm  Happy to help, and I absolutely agree about the difficulty in getting a detailed photo of a given laptop's keyboard layout.  I've sometimes had luck with third party review sites if I can't find what I need from Dell.  And I absolutely scrutinize the keyboard layout, because I'm a heavy user of keyboard shortcuts, so I care where keys like PgUp/Dn and Home/End are located, whether there are dedicated keys of Fn-mapped keys for those purposes, etc.  And that incidentally reminds me of one of the issues with the new XPS 15 9500.  Previous XPS 15 models had Home/End mapped to Fn+Left/Right, but with the new 9500, Dell moved those to be mapped as Fn+F11 and F12 or something, and they REMOVED the ability to trigger those functions via Fn+Left/Right, even though nothing ELSE was mapped to that combination.  The aggravation there is that PgUp and PgDn are still in the arrow key area where they've always been, which means that even though PgUp/Dn and Home/End are often used together to navigate various interfaces, they're now on opposite ends of the keyboard rather than right near each other.  Dell made that change on the XPS 13 model line a few generations ago, and it has provoked several gripe threads here, some of them quite long, and predictably when they more recently did this on the XPS 15 and new XPS 17, it's provoking gripes from buyers of those systems.  Some have gone as far as returning the system over this, and I can see why.

The most frustrating thing of all is that it would be absolutely trivial for Dell to provide a firmware update to restore the ability ALSO activate Home/End via Fn+Left/Right even if those keys aren't marked as such.  (This incidentally is the exact design Lenovo implements on some of their systems....)  I hope that whoever within Dell pushed for this design change starting years ago with the XPS 13 sees the error of their ways and relents, ideally including a firmware update for existing systems rather than just fixing this for future systems.

1 Message

June 17th, 2022 00:00

Skip forward to 2022 , just wen t to buy a Dell 2 in one and all models now DONT have numeric keypads, even the top of the line Latitude business  9510 series , none of the Latitude , on the Vostro models have a numeric keypad included in the keyboard layout , and there is no touch screen model on the Vostro, Why on earth would Dell remove the numeric keypad on a huge range if business computers ?

1 Message

September 12th, 2022 08:00

Yea for Dell for removing the numeric pad (at least as an option)!  I'm tired of sitting off-center of my laptop for those rarely-used keys (I'm a software engineer, not an accountant).

No Events found!