Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2018 22:00

Laptop computer never boots up and restart forever

Hello everyone. I have a laptop computer Dell vostro 14-5480, that I reformated and installed new windows with windows 8.1, updated all drivers, everything worked well for a few days. But one morning, when i opened the laptop, it turned on by itself, and kept restarting again and again. I thought may be battery is dead, but that was ok. It keeps restarting, doesn't boot to windows, and the F2 setup (BIOS) key and F12 boot keys doesn't work too (like when i hit F2 or F12, it goes to the setup for a while but then restarts again and again), no bluescreen error, nothing, but only restarting and restarting forever util i close the lid

I have a little knowledge about hardware, so I unscrewed the case and tried to run it without the RAM stick, but it just keep beeping and doesn't do anything when i turned it on without the RAM. Then I unplugged the HDD, it gave the same problem again. I did the same with the cell, but that didn't help too. I checked the cell voltage, its giving more than 3.1 in open circuit. I checked the HDD on another computer, it works well.

I took it to repair shops, some said HDD is the problem, then i checked the HDD was working well on other computers. Some said the whole mainboard has some issue so need to replace, but how come it has problem if it displays the Dell logo and can recognize the boot options. Then one of the repair man was checking it, he removed the HDD during the startup and again inserted it, it booted to windows, he said the problem is with the keyboard, some key is being pressed again and again. But for the keyboard he was asking a lot of money. Then i left, but thought that if it booted to the window with this method, may be the mainboard is fine and the problem may be with the keyboard or some other part is loosed up.

Now i have opened everything and trying to remove the keyboard to clear the keys, may be it solves the problem. I tried to open the CPU and GPU, but they are glued and I can’t open them without the SMD rework gun.

I have discussed this issue on CNET too, may be that will explain the problem more: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/...

Here is a short video of the problem, you may take a look: 

https://youtu.be/GxnMB9y69H8 

Please help me with it…. Please :Sad:

August 28th, 2018 09:00

my sixth sense told me to clean the power button, as that might be shorted or whatever.. I opened everything, and reached the keyboard, it was fixed so i had to pry it out.. I cleaned the power button a bit, though it looked fine.. I glued the keyboard again, and jammed a couple of keys too, but that got alright after taping for a while.. So i installed everything again, and blowing every socket and cleaning the connections.. powered on the computer, and, couldn't believed that it was working finely... so jams, no reboots, nothing.. I don't know what the problem was, but as far as my thinking, there was no problem with the mainboard.. either some key was shorted or some connection was not intact, that was making the problem... Afterall, I thank you all for answering and giving me valuable suggestions.. This website is awesome, got many replies, while others didn't even dare to.. I am really happy that there are still good people in this world

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 26th, 2018 07:00

If you haven't run an extended diagnostic on the drive, do that.  F12 at powerup.  Run the 15 min diags, and then boot to the full diagnostic environment and run the surface test on the drive (this will take several hours).

What you're likely to find is bad sectors - meaning the drive needs to be replaced.

August 26th, 2018 21:00

My dear Sir, i already mentioned that the computer doesn't let me to select any options, it just a matter of seconds...i.e. within seconds it restarts, so no chance of getting into boot options or setup.. I will try to make a new video soon

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 28th, 2018 04:00

Remove the hard drive from the system.  Does that allow the system into Setup?

13 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 05:00

My sister's Dell Volstro 3568 daces the same problem.The laptop boots sometime and most of the time it does not boot at all.   So main issue is laptop is not powering up with charger plugged in and even when charger is removed

Troubleshooting

1) Charger shows light and sometime the laptop boots (at its own will ) so there is no problem with charger.

2) I have removed battery, disconnected charger and then pressed power button for 1 min. Then plugged in charger and tried powering on and it did not work.

3) Next step after pressing the power button for 1 min I put the battery back and then pushed the power button. Laptop does not not boot-up. I then plugged in the charger and tried powering and still laptop does not boot up.

4) I have seen people suggest cleaning power buttons and I tied cleaning the button externally with a fine brush (I have never opened a laptop & I do not have tools even if I wanted to try)

5) In my Dell 14Z 5423 Laptop there is a reset pinhole. When laptop does not boot I can hard reset the laptop by pushing in the pinhole with a needle. I could not find the Reset PInhole in Dell Volstro 3568 laptop. Can someone tell me what is the technigue to reset Dell Volstro 3568 if it is not booting up at all.

6) Some people on forum have advised pressing F12 and entering bios and other stuff but to do that laptop has to powerup and this laptop is not powering up at all. So please give relevant advice.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards

Ajay

P.S- Stay safe, wear 2 masks. Wear one mask above another mask so even if you get exposed to corona virus the intensity of infection is further reduced by extra 50% because of wearing 2nd mask. Every time you wear a mask ,  wash the mask with warm soap water & hang it in sun for drying. Stay very safe. Corona might be stupid and irritating but the thing is killing people. Cheers

13 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 05:00

Extended diagnois is not solution to laptop not booting up at all! Let it start first!

No Events found!