Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2019 01:00

Mass Storage Controller/Dell Update failure

Hi all,

I've ended up going the rabbit hole since I tried to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 (1903). It wouldn't install. A troubleshoot showed that my Mass Storage Controller  isn't working, and probably not even installed.

Windows couldn't identify the device or find a driver, so I came to DELL.

'Dell Detect' identified my Laptop but can't suggest a single driver.

So I tried downloading a 'Dell Update' from one of the pages (maybe an old 2017 one). It downloaded and installed but failed to run.

What can I do? Is this 9 year old Vostro 1720 laptop just impossible to sort out?

Thanks

John

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 30th, 2019 09:00

@Johniwhite 

Have you tried installing this.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=88kn0&oscode=w764&productcode=vostro-1720

Regards,

U2

NOTE: What version OS are you running???

21 Posts

August 18th, 2019 02:00

OK, the website did eventually suggest a download. A BIOS update or something.

I tried to manually install it, and that failed too.

This really isn't looking too good.

Capture-4.PNG

21 Posts

August 18th, 2019 02:00

I also just tried installing and running Dell's Support Assist.

It installed, ran and failed. Now it won't even run at all.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 18th, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Johniwhite 

Do you receive any error when the install fails???

Bet regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 18th, 2019 10:00

@Johniwhite 

Try copying the file to your desktop and run it from there.

Regards,

U2

21 Posts

August 18th, 2019 10:00

Hi There,

Thanks for the response.

Do you mean when the controller/driver, Dell Assist, or the BIOS thing fails to install?

John

21 Posts

August 19th, 2019 04:00

Hi U2,

I'll give that a go, thanks

john

21 Posts

August 19th, 2019 04:00

Hi Again,

I copied the BIOS file set-up to the desktop and ran it. Same error as before unfortunately.

I just ran another system detect from the DELL drivers page. It's now suggesting a different file to download. Perhaps because I successfully updated to the 1903 version of Windows 10 yesterday?

The file I downloaded yesterday and can't install is:

V1720A08-32_64

The new one that I'm now downloading is:

V1520A08-32_64 

Which counter-intuitively, looks older.

John

21 Posts

August 19th, 2019 07:00

Nope. That didn't install either.  'BIOS is not flashable' error -144 Same as before

I realise now--d-uh--that the filename refers to the Laptop model: 1720. The DELL drivers page is recommending both BIOS downloads for some reason. Neither works.

If it did indeed install earlier, is there anyway that I can check within the system if it did? It's just that I tried to do it this morning and left it alone. When I returned the PC was on, and there was nothing to show if it had successfully installed or not. All that was there was the desktop.

---

This page recommends 2 different ways to install:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ie/en/iebsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r262294&oscode=ww1&productcode=vostro-1720

"To use it, download the file and copy it to a DOS-bootable USB flash drive, then boot the system to the USB flash drive and run the program."

Sounds complicated for a non-techie. Then further down it says to install it from the desktop (which hasn't worked for me)

21 Posts

August 23rd, 2019 02:00

Trying this again in a different way. I added my 'product' to my account.

The website has detected that I need the 1520 BIOS update (even though my laptop is a 1720).

I clicked the 'Download 7 Install' button. And it's just not downloading. All night it was stuck, like the attached screenshot.

Maybe because I'm out of warranty, the site is deliberately making it difficult?

John

Capture-5.png

21 Posts

August 30th, 2019 06:00

UPDATE

I was forced to reformat my Laptop and reinstall windows. At least Dell's  Support Assist now works.

But I still can't download the BIOS file. It freezes in the browser like before.

21 Posts

August 30th, 2019 09:00

Ok, I downloaded the 1720 BIOS from another part of the site. I assume it's installed (who knows?).

I still can't seem to do anything about this missing 'Mass Storage Controller' which is where this all started.

I uninstalled it in the Device Manager, then restarted the machine, and its back again with its yellow exclamation mark.

21 Posts

August 31st, 2019 00:00

Hi U2,

Thanks

I'm on OS v. 1903. I finally managed to update to it.

I'll try that download now,

John

21 Posts

August 31st, 2019 01:00

Success!

Thanks U2, that driver worked. That was my original problem in this post--the little yellow exclamation triangle!--but I'm glad that I ended up wiping this old laptop and reinstalling everything.

It's still quite a slow, unresponsive machine, and Microsoft Edge browser crashes a lot, and videos on news sites don't necessarily always play, but I think it's a leaner machine now and better than it was.

I might see how much an optical drive and memory would cost to boost it (could be a false economy of course).

Thanks again,

John

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 31st, 2019 04:00

@Johniwhite 

You could also try this.

Go to “Advanced System Settings”

Performance settings#3.PNG

In the “Performance” box click on “Settings”

Best Performance#4.PNG

Click on “Adjust for Best Performance”

Then click on “Apply”

Next click on the “Advanced” tab.

PerOP#5.PNG

Make sure “Programs” is selected in the “Processor Scheduling” box.

In the “Virtual Memory” box click on “Change”

Vmem#6.JPG

Click on “Custom Size”

Set “Initial Size (MB)” larger than the “Recommended:” size.

Then set the “Maximum Size (MB)” larger than the “Initial Size (MB)”

Click on “SET” and then “OK”

REBOOT:

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!