2 Bronze

Replace Optical Disk Drive with SSD on Vostro 3558

Jump to solution

I was looking to replace the optical drive with an SSD, though I'm not sure how to exactly upgrade my laptop. I've heard about caddies though, again, I'm unsure about which one will fit in my laptop. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze

Re: Replace Optical Disk Drive with SSD on Vostro 3558

Jump to solution

Got it working. I had to buy a 9.5mm caddy and fit the 2.5" SSD in then replace it with the optical drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

What's the point?

Replacing the main HDD with a SSD should be the first priority.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I was thinking of getting a low capacity SSD and only installing OS and frequently used software on it, and keep other documents and files on my HDD. Also, I've never used the optical disk and I doubt that I'll ever need it since everything's going digital nowadays.

0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

I have no idea whether that will work or not.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Got it working. I had to buy a 9.5mm caddy and fit the 2.5" SSD in then replace it with the optical drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Can you please let me know how did you did that and what all the things will be needed.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi you can search caddy online and before that if you have an optical disk in your laptop and find the thickness of it and search caddy of thickness 'x' here x is the thickness of the optical disk of your laptop. You have to do this because it different in different models.

0 Kudos