Highlighted
1 Copper

Vostro 3500 BIOS Update Failed

Can someone please help,

I have two Dell Vostro 3500 Intel core i3 laptops both running perfectly fine on WIN 10 pro until I decided to check through SupportAssist for any potential driver updates... big mistake!!

I followed absolutely the correct procedure to update the bios through Windows 10 in both cases until part way through the flashing process my screen went suddenly black with the cooling fan really working hard, nothing happened for at least 15 minutes no reboot or nothing whereby eventually I had to pull the battery and power.

Now I am left with two bricked laptops that will not even post - come on Dell what is happening?...  I have seen other people on here having similar problems & also solutions using a usb stick (although the instructions are pretty sparse for someone with limited capability like me, which in my case do not work, even my local pc repair shop was unable to figure it out & fix.

I really think Dell should take some responsibility for this, I have had to resort to stripping out the motherboard on one of them to send to a technician to do a bios solder repair fix as a last resort to see if it works as it would appear the bios got corrupted during the flashing process.

Any constructive comments or reliable solutions would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Vostro 3500 BIOS Update Failed

These systems do not support Windows 10 -- that's the first thing.  To update the BIOS, you will need a flash drive with Windows 7 on it.  It's almost surprising the flash worked under Windows 10.

Second issue is that these are almost ten years old - likely not worth a repair when a major failure occurs.

Complete, used and working Vostro 3500s appear to fetch between $20-50 on EBay -- less than you'll pay for a repair (or consider buying a replacement system a few years newer;  it won't cost much more).  Once a notebook hits about 3-5 years old, they're usually well under $100  used and working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Vostro 3500 BIOS Update Failed

Hi. Go to next link and search "Temuskoff" User. Follow that procedure. https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Vostro-3500-BIOS-Update-Failed-Recovery-Procedure-Nee...

0 Kudos