ds_75
1 Nickel

Vostro 3750 laptop - Windows 10 Pro - USB 3.0 issue

Hi - first time poster seeking assistance with a USB 3.0 issue in Windows 10 Pro.

My problem is every time I "Shut down" my computer (i.e. power off), upon turning it back on my two USB 3.0 ports don't work.  When I check in Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus controllers and show hidden devices the following two devices have a status of "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)":

1. Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)

2. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

Note: It is not possible to physically disconnect the USB 3.0 ports as they are internal to the laptop (on the right hand side).

If I then do a "Restart" (i.e. restart the computer without powering it off), the above two items reappear in Device Manager (no error) and the USB 3.0 ports function correctly.

I'm not sure when this issue originally arose as I don't routinely use the USB 3.0 ports but my best guess is it arose sometime after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Version 1709).

I've tried lots of troubleshooting with the assistance of both Dell and Microsoft representatives without success (uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, changing power management settings, disabling fast startup, in-place upgrade of Windows 10, etc).  Both Dell and Microsoft say they can only provide limited support due to the fact that the Vostro 3750 is not tested for Windows 10 as noted here (https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-apr...).  However I've been using the laptop on Windows 10 without any issues for a couple of years since taking advantage of the free Microsoft upgrade (Vostro 3750 came with an OEM version of Windows 7).  Additionally, given the USB 3.0 ports function correctly after a restart, I'm thinking this must be a software issue and accordingly should be fixable.

Before I give up on trying to solve this problem, my question for the Dell Community is:
Is anybody running the Vostro 3750 laptop on Windows 10 Pro and able to successfully use the USB 3.0 ports without the above issue?  If so, what drivers are you using and what are your BIOS settings?

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can provide!

SYSTEM DETAILS:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1803

OS Build: 17134.137

HARDWARE DETAILS:

Dell Vostro 3750

Intel(R) Core (TN) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Bios version: A14

DRIVER DETAILS:

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 1C14:

• Driver Provider: INTEL
  • Driver Date: 3/10/2016
  • Driver Version: 10.1.1.38

Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft):

• Driver Provider: Microsoft 
  • Driver Date:  10/04/2018
  • Driver Version: 10.0.17134.1

USB Root Hub (USB 3.0): 

• Driver Provider: Microsoft 
  • Driver Date: 8/06/2018
  • Driver Version: 10.0.17134.112
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrBuck
1 Copper

Re: Vostro 3750 laptop - Windows 10 Pro - USB 3.0 issue

Hi 

Did you ever solve this problem?

I'm having the same issue with a Latitude 3570

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

I have Vostro 3750 running W10 Pro x64 (i5 with 4Gb RAM and SSD fitted). Currently running 1803 (and awaiting 1809 in a week or two). 

I've run all versions of W10 as soon as they are released but I always clean install and tbh apart from Realtek audio drivers and a driver for the card reader I just let W10 install the require drivers. Zero problems and its a real star performer. I occasional transfer large (AOMEI disk image files) using the USB 3 ports and they always work as expected.

The unrecognised device here is the fingerprint reader.

Capture.JPG

ds_75
1 Nickel

Hi

No luck so far although I haven't done a full clean install of Windows which another poster has recommended.

Sorry I can't be more help.

0 Kudos