Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

November 11th, 2019 06:00

Vostro 3750 power off detaching the power cord and battery fully charged

Hello guys,

every evening when I start the shutdown procedure I detach the ethernet cable and the power cable from the notebbok for security reasons (too many thunderstorms in this area by night).

But, since 2 evenings ago, if I detach the power cord, the notebook switdhes off suddenly.
I can not turn on the notebook if the AC power cord is not connected (so I can not use the notebook powered only by the battery).

The battery is not new but is fully charged, I tested it also with a load and my multimeter and it is ok.

I partially discharged the battery with a load and I verified that the notebook + the AC adapter recharge it.

I searched the web for a solution and I read it may be related to Windows 7 power management and low power setup but I did not change anything, at least recently, in these setup values.

Any help and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Massimo

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 11th, 2019 07:00

How old is the battery? Has it ever been replaced on your 8 yr old laptop? No matter what the charge is, it still probably need a new battery. It would be a waste of money to replace the battery-if you could even find a new one- since windows 7 is at end of life 1/14/20 and will not receive any updates. It will not be safe to use on the Internet after that.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020/103f68c5-c977-42b6-9f9f-3d1ea4c652d9 

2 Posts

November 11th, 2019 08:00

No, the battery is newer, it is 2.5 years old, extended life battery and extended power. I change HD and batteries every 3 years on each notebook I have.

Also the notebook is not really 7 years old apart the LCD because having a Pro Support contract Dell technical assistance about 3 years ago changed the mother board and the interface board. Also the HD was changed 2 times during the years.

Do not worry about Win 7 because it is not true it will not be supported anymore by Microsoft: business clients may continue to receive updates also after 2020 just paying a little quote so it is OK for me, there are more problems with Win 10 for which develops embedded devices as me.

No Events found!