Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2019 09:00

Vostro 5481 Windows 10 1903 upgrade

Hi all, I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 1903 my Dell Vostro 5481 but the Windows Update tab showed "The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it".

I already applied all Dell drivers updates and all available Windows updates and although this message disappeared, the 1903 update was not downloaded. I read the issue seems to be related to the obsolete video driver, but Dell did not released any update about this driver.
I also tried to download the video driver for the UHD 620 from Intel, but the installation failed because "incompatible driver". This coud be caused by the changes Intel applied to the driver's architecture (DCH driver) starting from release 26.20. Maybe this could be overcomed uninstalling the old driver before installing the new, but prior to proceed I would like to know if anyone has already successfully upgraded the Dell Vostro 5481 to Windows 10 1903.
Thank you in advance for any useful information.

September 8th, 2019 07:00

Unfortunately, until some day ago, this didn't work.....

Finally, Dell released 3 driver updates.

Today, after updating (WiFi driver, SupportAssist Remediation and a new BIOS) Windows showed up the Windows 1903 update and successfully installed it.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 25th, 2019 09:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @gepposmart 

Not sure why but we have seen that before???

Click on "Update Now"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Best regards,

U2

July 26th, 2019 06:00

Thank you very much for your reply.

I perfectly know the link you suggested as well as how to force the upgrade.
I'm not exactly a newby... but the message "The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it" often is due to a driver or manufacturer application incompatibility, so I am trying to avoid to play to the russian roulette with my laptop. I have read about incompatibilities of some releases of the Dell Support Assist as well as of the video driver both causing BSOD, so I'm trying to understand if there are some success cases upgrading the Dell Vostro 5481 to Windows 10 1903.

5.6K Posts

July 26th, 2019 12:00

Make an image backup of your hard drive, which you should be doing anyway, and do the upgrade.

If the upgrade doesn't work out, you can go back to the backup you created.

I have don't this multiple times.

August 31st, 2019 22:00

I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I was very busy....

Thank you for your help nyc10036, but this is not what I was looking for.
I perfectly know how to save / restore a disk image, but this does not solve the need to play to the "try and pray" game, with an unpredictable amount of time spent in this game.
I'm looking for for someone who has already successfully upgraded the Vostro 5481 to Windows 10 1903.

16 Posts

September 6th, 2019 03:00

Did nothing special. Just check for updates. https://imgur.com/a/bsKo7m1
No Events found!