Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2021 06:00

Vostro 5481 - Windows 11 take an hour to get to login screen

Hi, I have this frustrating problem after upgrading to Windows 11 (via Windows 11 Upgrade Assistant). After boot up or screen lock, it takes me about an hour to able to input my PIN to login or unlock my notebook. I can not use Ctrl Alt Del or enter Task Manager by any means (note that I was not logged on if the PC just booted up). I have tried to reinstall Windows 11 via Reset PC (keep personal files) but the problem won't go away.
Does anybody have the same problem? How do you fix it? I really don't want to go back to Windows 10.

Thanks,
Dat.

12 Posts

August 20th, 2022 17:00

Problem resolved for me.

• I have updated to the latest BIOS by Dell Update and then downloaded via Windows 11 upgrading Assistant, the result was, I had to wait for about 1 hour for login
  • After the long waiting, I logged in and manually downloaded the BIOS from the DELL website and installed it again.
  • Bingo! Now more waiting for now even after windows update in Win11
  • The Windows version now is 21H2, IS Build 22000.856

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

October 7th, 2021 06:00

Assuming that Windows 10 booted just fine you could try a clean boot in case a program or setting is causing the delay. And this may not be appealing but I would back up your drive using a program such as Macrium Reflect Free available here. Just make sure you create the media rescue tool so you can boot into Macrium if you need to restore your drive. Then download the media creation tool for Windows 11 (it is the second choice on this page) and try a clean install.

October 7th, 2021 09:00

I got this same problem, even with a clean install.

Also, if you try to boot in safe mode, it is possible that the login goes well.

Already tried:
- Clean installation;
- In safe mode, was set to initialize just the windows services;
- Tried "sfc /scannow command" in safe mode;
- Tried "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" command in safe mode;
- Tried with all services;
- Tried to wait boot in normal mode and install all drivers;

All these didn't work and now I'm back to Windows 10.

4 Posts

October 7th, 2021 10:00

Exactly same problem here, and exactly same workarounds of @luanlazzarin without sucess.

an additional info:

-the problem starts after first restart to finish MS updates

-before that, the machine works like a charm, so I think it's related to video card driver update.
-on my third attempt I have used the Dell drivers, and not MS ones

Think we need wait for a Dell fix.

12 Posts

October 8th, 2021 01:00

same here for my 5581. dont know how to recover yet....

7 Posts

October 8th, 2021 02:00

Strange behavior. I accidently locked my working PC to go to get water (which is what I always do when leaving the PC) and it is stuck. I thought I need to wait for an hour. So my in my desperated attempt, I tried to reboot the laptop by holding Power button.

Doing it serveral times, and guess what, it is magically unlocked. I think this is may be I still placing my finger on the power button (finger print unlock enabled), although I'm not 100% percent sure. But still, I can still continue my work.

And now the problem is I cannot start any program with Administrator privilege (Run as Administrator). Guess I will need to wait for an hour? I will update the result.

So I think this issue related to Administrator privilege. If you can duplicate the process like me, unlock the laptop immediately after bootup by keeping the finger print on power button, please help me confirm that.

@JOceanThanks for the suggestion. I will try a clean boot after closing my work.

4 Posts

October 8th, 2021 05:00

Same for me. In addition I tried the deletion of Intel Display Driver.

I double checked the hardware and updates : I have found no errors or warnings, up to date drivers. I updated the Bios.

In  addition I have reset BitLocker and checked the protection againt ramsonwares

After several attempts and restorations, I gave up, waiting for a fix from either Dell or Microsoft.

PS : Afetr installation of Win 11, the computer works fine until a restart and then the login screen appears with the text only on black  background. Key combinations don't show anything except WIN+P which allows to select displays in a blue window like in win 10 fashion.

Win 10 Installation was up to date.i

7 Posts

October 8th, 2021 06:00

Update: Indeed, while I can bypass the Login screen using finger print. I still need to wait an hour to able to fully gained Administrator privilege. Otherwise, I will not able to restart or shutdown the computer.

Actually, when choosing to restart or shutdown, the Welcome screen with spinning circle appears. Which may indicated that the login process was not completed.

I hope that this may useful for debugging the issue.

And one more thing, I cannot upgrade my TPM firmware. Able to disabled provisioning, clear tpm but the firmware upgrade process failed. Could this be the reason? Windows Security troubleshooting says I need TPM firmware upgrade.

October 8th, 2021 07:00

I don't know, but once I was logging and all appears well in safe mode, maybe the safe mode doesn't use the TPM?

It's the most weird for me, it seems that something is loading in normal mode and not in safe mode, but I didn't find what.

7 Posts

October 8th, 2021 08:00

Yes, Safe mode is fine for me too.

Disabled TPM in BIOS won't help (or won't show any error), seems it is not related to TPM.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome everyone,

Has anyone tried a "Fresh" install.

I have installed a "Fresh" W11 on 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th gen CPU's.

With TPM 1.2 or 2.0.

The trick is setting up the BIOS with the correct options set.

If you need help just let me know.

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@cmarquesp 

See if these are your settings???

Boot Sequence = UEFI with "Windows Boot Manager" checked.

Advanced Boot options = uncheck "Enable Legacy Option ROM's"

UEFI Boot Path Security = Never

SATA Operation = AHCI

TPM 2.0 Security = Enabled and TPM ON  checked

SMM Security Mitigation = SMM Security Mitigation unchecked

Secure Boot = Disabled

Best regards,

U2

4 Posts

hi U2
could you detail wich settings you have used.
I also have installed on other machines without any problems, but on my vostro 5481 I'm facing this bug

4 Posts

October 8th, 2021 09:00

I did the first install using my pendrive prepared with W11 Media Creation Tool, the other attemps I did as a fresh install

about the  SATA Operation = AHCI option, my system only boots if I choose RaidON, on AHCI it maybe boot if I do the install already on this mode, maybe I try it later

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 8th, 2021 09:00

@cmarquesp 

Are you trying to boot from USB W11 Media Creation Tool???

Regards,

U2

No Events found!