Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2020 12:00

Vostro 7590 BIOS 1.6.0 Issue

This post raises a concern with the latest Vostro 7590 BIOS release, specifically with performance on battery power. With version 1.6.0, I noticed significant lag in the machine for simple operations such as moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard. The system, which works excellently on AC power, comes to stutter immediately after the AC adapter was unplugged.

In my troubleshooting I tried the following actions:

• Disabled C-States
  • Disabled Modern Standby
  • Created a customized power management setting (Windows 10)
    • Forced minimum CPU state to 100% instead of 5% when on battery
    • Switched cooling from passive to active
  • Disabled the Dell Battery control

None of these changes resulted in improved system performance. As it became clear that the OS was not the root cause of the CPU throttling, I attempted installed an older BIOS. When I installed BIOS version 1.5.1, the performance issue was immediately resolved. While I am happy to have found that I could restore the performance of my machine, I am less happy with the large performance impact that 1.6.0 caused for a supposedly mobile device.

Please investigate as I would prefer to have the security measure provided in 1.6.0 without the major performance issues.

6 Posts

June 13th, 2020 05:00

Identified a compounding problem. The battery within the Vostro 7590 is just not capable of running the NVidia gpu and the cpu at the same time and at full capacity. In fact, even with optimus running the iGPU, the dGPU still draws enough power to force the CPU down to the ~.8 GHZ spectrum. When fully disabling the dGPU through windows manager, the CPU nearly doubles it's available speed to ~1.6 GHz. This indicates that the battery for the Vostro was not designed with the intention of supporting any real work off AC power. For that matter, it can hardly load the windows file explorer at that speed.

I guess this matter is "semi-solved" in that I found a way to mitigate the effects of slowness while off AC. The fact that the mouse has issues on the newer BIOS still exists and I wont update until dell releases a new patch.

• 

25K Posts

June 5th, 2020 12:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!