Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2016 13:00

Any luck with 8TB device anyone?

The ScaleIO 2.0.0.2 states that it now supports a 8TB device for SDS.

However, I am getting error "the specified device is too large" error.

Is there anyone here with the same issue?

meh.png

No luck from scli either, which makes sense because UI is basically just translating the action to scli commands behind the scene.

meh2.png

Anyone of the same boat? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, ScaleIO 2.0.0.2, Infiniband QDR / IPoIB all around.

73 Posts

Junsato,

Edit the conf.txt in /opt/emc/scaleio/sds/cfg and add this line:

tgt_dev__max_capacity_in_gbs=

where the GBs is how large you need supported. 8192 should suffice there.

Then set the SDS into maintenance mode and then stop/start the SDS process and bring the SDS back out of maintenance mode. That should allow you to work around the issue.

6 Posts

Thank you, I will try that.

Is this override a supported action though? I would think they'd set the default in these things for a good reason, and overriding it sounds risky - Right now, I only have "product limit" in the release note PDF stating that now they support 8TB. Is there any chance I'll have negative experience by overriding this limit?

Something doesn't sound right, it's either the release note is wrong, or the tools are wrong. Either way, I think EMC/ScaleIO has some fixing to do. Thoughts?

6 Posts

I still maintain that EMC/ScaleIO would need to fix this though. If you sell it as 8TB capable, you should allow it by default.

6 Posts

The device I'm adding is Western Digital, WD80EFZX.

6 Posts

Ta da!

Rick - you are awesome, it worked!

tada.png

73 Posts

October 26th, 2016 06:00

In this case, the original release notes were wrong, but have been updated to reflect the inaccuracy.

See: https://support.emc.com/docu71762_ScaleIO-2.0.0.2-Release-Notes.pdf?language=en_US

Then search for SCI-16831. The action I gave and that you performed is supported, so no worries there. The supported size of an SDS device has been updated to 8 TB (by default) in 2.0.0.3.

Hope this helps!

No Events found!