Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2016 12:00

Data migration to ScaleIO

Hi Experts,

What are the options available to me to migrate the data from existing traditional SAN Array VMAX/VNX/3rd party to ScaleIO cluster ( ScaleIO Node/ScaleIO software on COTS)

Thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 7th, 2016 12:00

Greetings - The easiest way today would be to leverage host based tools to perform the migration.  In the current release we do not have the ability to pull data directly from another Storage Array. 

are the hosts/Data in question virtualized? Obviously the easiest method would be to use Storage vMotion or Storage Live Migration. 

31 Posts

March 8th, 2016 04:00

Thanks Stephen.

what do we recommend for over the WAN ? Can we expect any migration tools for migrating data from EMC/3rd party to scaleIO in ScaleIo v2.0/future versions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 9th, 2016 06:00

How are you replicating today?  if it's host based i would say use that strategy - If not, you may have to do a seeding at site 1 and relocate the system to site 2 (if the applications can/will support it).

What is the scenario around the hosts/applications?  how much data are we talking about replicating over the WAN.

March 10th, 2016 19:00

I can think of a few options.  Using Datacore, you could map a ScaleIO lun to datacore and then present it out of datacore via Fibre Channel as a pass through device to the VNX SAN.  Then you could use VNX SAN Copy and do a bulk copy followed by one or more incremental copies.

Should work like a champ.

Ping me if you have more questions.  Here is a link for more info:

Pass-through Disks

Paul Montoya

480-550-8940

31 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

This is extremely good to know Paul. I will definitely call  you if additional info is required.

Two quick queries though:

1. Is Datacore one of EMC select partners ( I am not able to confirm this)

2. Does WWT partner with other SI's in the US for conducting migration activities like this.

Thanks in advance.

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

EMC is on the datacore support matrix, however I doubt that datacore is a partner is the EMC Select Program. Why would that be needed? WWT or phxds.com could provide pricing.

Yes to the 2nd question.

Paul Montoya

480-788-6016

No Events found!