Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2016 03:00

ScaleIO license removal

Hi Guys,

Been trying to get an answer for ages and can't seem to be able to.

I want to know if it is at all possible to remove an license on a ScaleIO environment?

Thanks,

Triggs

33 Posts

October 31st, 2016 12:00

in my personal experience

the license is only a paper license...
we don’t' stop the data or disable anything
it's fully functional whether there is a license or not
now if license doesn't have enough capacity, putting the license back in with a wrongful amount probably will fail to add the license
for that you will have to get licensing involved, if there’s not enough capacity to handle the new node, as licenses are based upon capacity.

110 Posts

October 31st, 2016 14:00

Can you explain the reason to remove the license?

You would only need to do that if you had added a ScaleIO license. If you install ScaleIO and don't add a license, there are no limits to the system. Just no support.

16 Posts

November 1st, 2016 02:00

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses...

This was a production environment, but we want to now use this as a staging/dev environment, but want to remove the capacity limits so that we can add more dev machines onto that environment.

This will give us a replica of live when we recreate a new production environment.

Thanks,

John

16 Posts

November 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi guys,

This was a production environment, but we want to now use this as a staging/dev environment, but want to remove the capacity limits so that we can add more dev machines onto that environment.

This will give us a replica of live when we recreate a new production environment.

Thanks,

John

16 Posts

November 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi guys,

Thanks,

John

110 Posts

November 1st, 2016 08:00

That makes sense. Open a support ticket to do this.

68 Posts

November 1st, 2016 23:00

Hi all,

@osaddict: I understand the request to open a support ticket. It's a tricky operation.

That question was intriguing because to achive that result without proper tools requires some reverse engineering skill.

In a trial environment I was able to transform a licensed ScaleIO version to a trial version for non production use. It's a tricky task because I had to interpret and edit a hex data file of a specific ScaleIO component.

I won't give instructions because it is dangerous and I think that EMC approval is required to publish that kind of informations.

Regards,

Davide

16 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 00:00

Thanks.  I have raised a ticket before in the past and it seems like they think it is not possible.  But I know sometimes the community knows ways around things like this and what seems logically possible should be possible.

Thanks,

John

16 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 04:00

Thanks C0ReDuMP

I think this will be helpful for EMC to develop a tool that will simply do all the manual things to reverse engineer adding the license that only requires the user to click a button to remove the license after specifying the MDM ip addresses and any other parameters required for the tool to accurately locate the license and remove it.

Thanks,

John

68 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

Hello triggs88,

when I wrote my previous message today there was a limit in my method, it required ScaleIO infrastructure shutdown to change license.

I made some improvement working with shm descriptors and now I'm able to transform the license without downtime.

Now I'm writing a script to automate this task. If someone at EMC is interested could contact me, I'm happy to share my work with them.

I prefer to distribute such kind of tools only with EMC approval. Maybe it's better to share informations with EMC directly so they can double check my work and they can share my work to the community.

@osaddict: contact me if you consider appropriate so I can share with you some informations.

Thanks,

Davide

68 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hi guys,

I created an automated python script for this task. The MDMs must be linux, I tried it on my ScaleIO infrastructure installed on Ubuntu and it works perfectly. I don't know if the SIO installation path and SHM descriptors are located in the same paths on every distribution but I can explain the actual limits so someone can improve it adding some additional check.

@osaddict: if you are interested I can share the little script with you so EMC team can make a check, fix and improve it.

Regards,

Davide

306 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 13:00

Hi Davide,

If you don't mind sharing it, I will gladly have a look - ping me at pawel.wasylyszyn@dell.com

Cheers,

Pawel

68 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 16:00

Hi Pawel,

I'm very happy to send you my little dirty script. There are some comments in code.

I tested the script on Ubuntu 14.04 with ScaleIO version 2.0.0.2 and on Ubuntu 16.04 and ScaleIO version 2.0.1.0. It is a fast hack so it requires some revision but in my scenario works perfectly.

It must be executed only on the (currently) active MDM node. ScaleIO replicates the changes on the othen MDM cluster nodes.

Let me know what you think.

I'm very glad to help.

Regards,

Davide

68 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 17:00

Hi Pawel,

feel free to redistribute the script after an accurate revision and also to improve it in order to make it safer and (eventually) compatible with different linux flavors.

Regards,

Davide

110 Posts

November 4th, 2016 12:00

Hello,

If you read the EULA, the product is free to use only for evaluation and demonstation purposes. If you look at the text you agree to when downlading, you will see the section below. This mean that even for development and test environments, a license is required.

"

E. “Internal Business Purposes” means an internal (non-commercial) Use for the purpose(s) of testing and demonstrating the features of the Software, and not for Customer product development, product testing, or other Customer research and development or commercial purposes.

"

No Events found!